Options

Red Gate does not remember settings

brianh123brianh123 Posts: 8
edited September 13, 2007 6:03PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Red Gate no longer remembers "File Management" settings in the Options dialog. It used to, but no longer. All values have reverted to their defaults. If I change one, click Apply and OK, and close the dialog, when I re-open it, I see that the change did not take. No error is produced when I save the setting. There is no error message in the Event Viewer. It just does not work. :x

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    My company owns four enterprise copies. Two of them are not saving their settings. If someone in product support would be so kind as to provide product support, I would be very grateful.
  • Options
    Hi,
    This situation can occur if the registry keys used to store the SQL Backup settings have become inaccessible - either because the keys have been renamed or deleted, or the permissions are not sufficient for the SQL Backup interface to read the details.

Using regedit, check that the following registry keys exist:

For 32-bit machines: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal

For 64-bit machines: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal

If this key does exist, there should be sub-keys, one for each SQL Server instance on the server that is using SQL Backup. These keys (and sub-keys) should be accessible to the following accounts:

* The SQL Backup Agent account
    * The user(s) that will be accessing the SQL Backup GUI (for security reasons, the SQL Backup Agent will use the credentials of the user, rather than giving default access to all users to the configuration details)

If either of these groups of users do not have access, it can cause the situation you have described. Correcting the permissions and then closing/reopening the Options dialog should resolve this issue.

I have already passed a request on to our development team to improve the "error reporting" for this scenario to make it clearer that a problem has occurred and hopefully it will be included in a future release of SQL Backup.

If this doesn't resolve your issue, feel free to follow-up and we can look into the problem further for you.

Thanks,
    Jason
  • Options
    Thanks. This fixed the problem.

As far as error reporting goes, yes, please don't let your developers swallow exceptions. I would rather see a big ugly exception than have the app go about pretending that everything is fine when it's not. This also happens in SQL Agent jobs. I've had backups fail numerous times for different reasons, and each time the SQL Agent job records that as a success, I guess because your XP doesn't return an error. This is unforgivable.