Transaction Log File Broken

moosemoose Posts: 5
edited August 29, 2007 9:40PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have come accross the following problem:

A transaction log backup was created and there were no issues reported with the backup. When I try to restore from this file it appears to run indefinitely (the backup took 11 seconds to run).

When I run RESTORE FILELISTONLY it completes in 7 seconds with no errors.
When I run RESTORE SQBHEADERONLY it completes in 2 seconds with no errors.
When I run RESTORE VERIFYONLY it continues indefinitely like the restore.
Also when I try to do a sql2mtf it hangs indefinitely after it reaches the 90% point.

I am running SQL Backup 5.1 on this server. Other backup files were being restored successfully a couple of days without issue before this issue occured (in a log shipping setup).

I can find nothing in the logs to indicate what the problem might be.

Any ideas what is causing this and how can I prevent this from reoccuring?

Comments

• I have some more information on this issue. After cancelling the sqb2mtf process that had hung (by using control-C), I noticed that the 3 files that were created by this process were still on the filesystem. I was able to set up a test copy of this database and rolled the backups up to this log file. I then used the mtf files and SQL Server Native restore and was able apply this (failing) transaction log. Then I was able to apply the next sequential log file using sql backup restore (this one had not been failing), and perform a recovery and the database was able to be brought online without issue. I also performed a dbcc checkdb on the temp db and it was fine. So it appears as though there is some sort of issue with the verify,restore and convert applications with respect to this file. Is this an issue with my setup or something else?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Are you using version 5.2? If not, I would suggest upgrading to that version as it addresses some issues with backup files that contain multiple backup sets.

If you would prefer not to upgrade as yet, you can download just the conversion utility (http://www.yohz.com/downloads/sqb2mtf.zip) or the command line interface (http://www.yohz.com/downloads/SQLBackupC.zip) and see if they are able to convert/read the file correctly.

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I tried the v5.2 sqlbackupc and sqb2mtf. The problem still persists. I was not sure if v5.2 was still in beta, or if it has gotten to production release, and as such was completing the rollout of this product before upgrading to the next version.

Thanks
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please send me the file? Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8