Find columns with no differences to exclude them

habbotthabbott Posts: 3
I am comparing 2 tables which have over 50 columns. They apparently have over 400 different records. I would like to be able to find and exclude the columns which do not have any differences so only columns with different values are left ( I know how to exclude a column but how do I find the columns?). Is there an easier way than checking each column for the red / blue colours? Or can I filter a column to view only records with differences for that field?
Thanks

Comments

• Hello,

Thanks for posting. There is also an 'atomic' way of getting Data Compare to show only the different, missing, additional, or matching records. These options are available in the third screen of the project settings (wizard), right after the screen where you choose the tables and columns.
  • Thanks for your reply but I know how to filter the records on different, missing, additional, or matching records - I'm looking for a way to filter the columns in a record on whether a column contains any differing values.
    For example if I have a table with 50+ columns and over 400 different records (so I've already removed the matching, missing and additional records) but only a few columns contain different values, how can I find these columns? Once I've found which ones contain different values then I know I can edit the project and only select those columns to be displayed.
    The other thing that would be useful would be to be able to sort a column and it orders the records to those with differences in this column and those that match as that would be an easy way to find columns which have differences.
    Is this possible?

Thanks
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

We'd need to change the software, like we did in ANTS Profiler, to allow grouping by column. Since we 'have the technology', I think we can do this in a future version.
This discussion has been closed.