Just In Time..

keithrkeithr Posts: 16 Bronze 2
This worked out well for me. I have to track differences and move them into the new database while avoiding overwriting new data with old data or getting PK | FK combos mixed up.

Everything has been working great, very smooth and easy to read. And I like the custom id matching, lets me determine what's just out of order vs what was is missing.

I am not sure if this is a problem or this may be by design, but I exclude a column while comparing 2 like tables, if I go back and change the compare by column list, then the exclude table comes back regardless of whether I hit save after removing the column or not. It's only a minor annoyance, and I could see needed to reset a display list if the compares are changed just thought I would mention it to see.

Anyway, thanks for a great product.. now I just need to get my boss to shell out for the upgrades :D
Keith Rupert
Software Developer
Local Government Division
Tyler Technologies, Inc.
P: 888.654.3293 ext. 175111
www.tylertech.com

Comments

• Glad it's working well for you, I'll have a look into your exclude table 'coming back' as it doesn't sound quite right. We've done a lot of work in the project configuration to make sure that the settings you choose aren't lost unexpectedly so this seems like a bug.

As for the upgrade, if you have support you'll get version 6 for free when it's released. Although bear in mind that the compare to backup functionality is going to be a SQL Data Compare Pro feature only so you may need to upgrade to get that.

Have you tried compare to backup yet?
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • keithrkeithr Posts: 16 Bronze 2
    Until you had asked, no I hadn't compared a backup to a live db. But that was enough to get me to try it out just to see...

The backup has columns missing from certain tables. It looks like the columns that are missing are all nvarchar(x). I noticed because as soon as I opened the project the column count was 17 of 18 col. without any edititing. If I compare the database to itself, the columns are fine.

Also, when starting a new backup compare project, I didn't get the warning about custom compares not working. But after change datasources to the databases I was able to get the warning message, though I haven't been able to replicate what sequence of steps lets me get the custom compare warning.

But this is still way cool. The pivot view is great makes it much more readable. And the SQL on the tab is very handy.

Keep up the good work.. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Bundle Pro 6 is done before my support runs out
    Keith Rupert
    Software Developer
    Local Government Division
    Tyler Technologies, Inc.
    P: 888.654.3293 ext. 175111
    www.tylertech.com
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the feedback!

With the missing columns, I wonder if it was the case that they'd become unmapped for some reason?

If you're seeing all the columns in a backup to backup comparison, that suggests that the columns are being read from the backup but not mapped to the ones in the live project.

With respect to the custom comparison keys, these unfortunately aren't supported for backups - it'd mean re-implementing large chunks of SQL Server in order to do this, which isn't something we were particularly keen on doing!

Many thanks again,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • Ah, even better!

I guess we should probably make it more obvious that computed columns (and views) aren't supported - it's probably not as clear as it should be.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate