Options

Log Shipping Initial Restore Seed

aleclalecl Posts: 22
edited July 27, 2007 1:22PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
The wizard generates jobs for the backup and restore, but not the initial backup/create/seed restore. It would be nice to have this as an unscheduled job in case the destination db needs to be recreated.

Comments

• Options
    Hi alecl,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it on to our developers and hopefully we will be able to include it in a subsequent release of SQL Backup.

Thanks,
    Jason
  • Options
    I also could not do the initial seed restore to existing database because it did not give me the option to remap the data and log files to different locations. I had to restore to new. There should be an option to allow remapping to the file locations of the existing db.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Alec,

This is a separate issue and is actually a bug in the SQL Backup UI.
    During the 'restoring full backup' step of the log shipping wizard, the task fails with SQL error 3176:
    Restoring DBName (database) from:
    \\ServerName\redGateBackupsForLogShipping\SEED_DBName_20070502152651.sqb
    SQL Server error
    SQL error 3013: SQL error 3013: RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    SQL error 3176: SQL error 3176: File '' is claimed by 'DBName_Log'(2) and 'DBName_Data'(1). The WITH MOVE clause can be used to relocate one or more files.
    SQL Backup exit code: 1100
    SQL error code: 3176

The workaround is to not use the 'choose existing database' option in the log shipping wizard. Use the 'Create new database' option instead.

We're aware of this and are going to fix it in the next version.