Templates not available

Andrew HodgeAndrew Hodge Posts: 132
edited August 13, 2007 10:45AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

Running SQL Backup 5.1 on Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise Edition with SP2 against a mixture of SQL Server 2000 and 2005 instances.

When I create a job using the Backup wizard and then save the template (on the last page) I don't appear to be able to reuse it. ie if I then go to the schedule backup jobs the template list is greyed out and states that i have no saved templates. Is there a specific format / path that I need to enter in the template name when saving?

Comments

• Hi Andrew,
    The list of templates available is generated when you select a server from the list, so initially the template list will be empty and contain the text "You have no saved templates.".

If you are selecting the correct server and it still returns an empty list, you can check the list of templates in the registry (on the machine that hosts the SQL Server instance), at the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Backup Settings\<name> Where <name> is the name of the instance. You should see some name/data pairs, each one corresponding to a saved template.

Hope that helps,
    Jason
  • Thanks Jason I have been in contact with support with call ref F0005120 and provided the following extra info, but have not had any feedback for a while now.

I tested the saving of templates on another server which we have SQLBackup running on and found that the template does save correctly. I see the template information gets saved into the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettings\(LOCAL).

The server I am experiencing an issue with is configured differently as it is using a 3rd party product (PolyServe) to provide a type of clustering for SQL Server instances. This software basically virtualises the SQL Server instance. When it does this it changes the server name in the SQL Server serverproperty value.

So the servers NETBIOS name is MEDPOL1 but SQL Server serverproperty is set to MEDSQLVM01. The instance is then attached to this virtual server ie MEDSQLVM01\INSTA

When I save a template on this server nothing is getting created in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettings\. It stays totally blank even though the job states that the template was saved successfully which is slighty confusing.

I think it might be our 3rd party software causing this issue with the templates not being saved. The other thing that is different between this server and the one I successfully saved the template on is that it is Windows Server 2003 x64 edition.
  • For completeness the resolution to this issue is that the account that backup is running under requires permissions to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsand not the user account running the GUI.

If it does not have permissions it will still display as the template saving successfully even though it fails.