3.5 First Impressions

MikeONeillMikeONeill Posts: 131
edited August 1, 2007 1:41PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi

A nice set of improvements on the whole , but some bits seems to have slipped

Firstly thanks for the VS 2005 suport , it was one of my main "missings" of 3 and 3.1 , I use VS mostly unless I'm developing Big Sp's , a lot are simply 1 -10 liners

It works from Server Explorer and from Solution Explorer , but not from the Team Suite add in for DB professionals , which creates a normal MSSMS query window . But I suppose ypu can't have everything.

I Like the added granularirty of config

I love the Auto fill of Insert Into tb.( ), even if you have to delete a few things later

Does not seem to be 100% on the candidate list for example I typed Select * From D and it shows only D starting functiions , the db in question has over 20 tables starting with D, the Table icon seems to be greyed out , is it a setting I've missed.

Equally I have snippets set up ., eg av = DECLARE @ , for adding variables , as I type av I get "No Suggestion" then it adds the snippet anyway. , same for a variety of other snippets

While I'm on snippets thanks for the copy & paste function on the snippet editor , a real winner for me.

I'll comment further as I progress

Cheers

Mike

Comments

• Hi

Have you made the Candidates List case sensitive , it never used to be I typed Print @ na dall the variables show , I type Print @f lower case , they all disappear

Ditto all the Select Statements etc Select * from f gives nothing
    Select * from F gives what I would expect

Case Sensitivity is not nice in SQL its bad enough in C# , have I missed a setting ??

Cheers

I can sedn screen dumps if you wish

Mike
  • Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Thanks Mike, your "SELECT * FROM D" issue is just weird. We don't see anything like that: it works perfectly. I assume you mean it's only showing the built-in functions, which suggests to me that SQL Prompt hasn't pulled back your metadata. There is a bug in the RC where this sometimes happens that we've fixed for the final release on Friday.

I should point out that we don't support the Data Dude plug-in but this is for commercial rather than technical reasons.

I'm not sure what your snippet problem is either. Can you post up your script and indicate where you attempted to enter this snippet please?

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
    Actually scrap my comment about snippets: I've just found a scenario where that happens.
    Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Hi Bart

I have sent scrren dumps by mail , it looks horribly like the list is case sensitive , Now I know it works fine but not like 3.1

Is there a setting ? or is it a bug ?

Mike
    Hi Mike,

I see what's up but it'll need to be a 3.6 fix I'm afraid. It's not case-sensitive, however I'll reply to your mail with a more detailed explanation of what's going on.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • I'm running 3.5.0.323 of SQL Prompt... and while I love the Hot-Key Caching and speed, I think its parsing of the SQL has taken a step back.

Here's an example for the NorthWind database. The intelisense on WHERE guesses tables, and I can't make it show columns.

Is the because of my version?

Thanks,

Sam

PUT THIS INTO QUERY ANALYZER

SOME TEXT

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Orders
    WHERE

SOME TEXT