Options

Function query (possible code suggestion)

wdwd Posts: 25
edited July 25, 2007 2:43AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Hi,

I read that you can create code snippets and place the code $CURSOR$ into the snippet to tell the cursor to start at that point after inserting the snippet.

Are there any other functions like $CURSOR$ that I maybe didn't see?

Something that would certainly help me would be to have the option of something like $DATE$ and $NAME$. Where $DATE$ is the system date when the snippet was inserted and $NAME$ the name of who inserted it.

These extra functions would allow me to make a code snippet for the header of my stored procedures.

It would then look something like this:
/*
	Author : $NAME$
	Date : $DATE$
	Description : $CURSOR$

*/

I would then have my name (from SQLPrompt Options) and the date entered automatically and then I could write a short description of what the procedure/function etc. will do.

What do you think? Good, bad, impossible?!

Regards

wd

Comments

• Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    Hi there,

That's a good idea and is something we might implement in the future. We have been thinking about enhancing snippet functionality further, but that probably won't happen until version 4.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    Hi Bart,

I know that the 3.5 version is only just (pre)-released, but what is the roadmap for SQLPrompt? Will there be a few more minor releases in the coming months or are you working on the next major release?

Regards

wd
  • Options
    Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
    In the short term we're going to do a 3.6 release to fix any bugs that come up, and in some cases have already come up in 3.5. To be honest we're then all going to need a bit of a break to work on other things and to help us get a better perspective on where to go with SQL Prompt before work starts on a new major version so I can't really be very specific about when that might happen.

Thanks,
    Bart
    Bart Read
    Principal Consultant
    bartread.com Ltd
  • Options
    Hi

You may want to look at Visual Assiste X for VS 2005 , to see how they approach AutoText (ie Snippets)

You can add a snippet and include $Anything$ in the code , as you use the shortcut or select the snippet you are prompted to provide Anything , which is insetrted into the code wherever yo define $Anything$

Imagine creating a standard wrapped property by typing your variable once !

they are www.wholetomato.com

PS yes I am lazy any labour saving stuff for me !!

Cheers

Mike