Options

Can I do this?

bcpreecebcpreece Posts: 47
edited June 28, 2007 1:39PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I am working on creating our Version Control and would like to have a way to use Compare 6 but have refractor layout the SQL too. Is there a way to combine these 2 operations?

Comments

• Options
    bcpreece wrote:
    I am working on creating our Version Control and would like to have a way to use Compare 6 but have refractor layout the SQL too. Is there a way to combine these 2 operations?

I too am interested in this functionality.
  • Options
    Can someone at Red-Gate please speak to this?
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

SQL Compare formats the SQL in the files being synchronized in a set way. It's not an option yet to apply any formatting options.

SQL Refactor currently works inside Management Studio's query window. So there would need to be either a marriage between the two products, or a clever add-in that connects a .SQL file to a query window and invokes Refactor to fix the code and save it.

It looks like a suggestion for a future version of SQL Compare!
  • Options
    Please add this to your board for Compare. It would be a huge success if we could do this with compare!
  • Options
    Hi there,

Sorry about the delay. We will consider this for a future version of the product, but I cannot really say when this would be done.

We are more likely to put a batch layout into SQL Refactor so that you can refactor your entire database in one shot and then use SQL Compare to synchronise this back to source control rather than combine SQL Refactor and SQL Compare.

How does that sound?

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    In the end all I want is to be able to refractor the whole DB. So any way you can get that done would be great!
  • Options
    Good news then, this is being "considered" for the next version of SQL Refactor. As it is a fairly popular request it has a good chance of making it, as long as it is technically possible to do this inside of SSMS.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd