SQL Refactoring Complexity

sqlnovicesqlnovice Posts: 2
edited June 28, 2007 10:00AM in SQL Refactor Previous Versions
I am in a project where the goal is to identify, prioritize and remediate list stored procedures that directly or indirectly cause unplanned downtime.

I'd like to understand the analysis baby steps that I should consider while using the SQL Professional Toolbelt. This will help me clearly understand how the overall analysis process is streamlined along with the resulting cost savings (when compared against manual analysis).

Assuming the complexity of refactoring is low, medium and high, I'd also like to obtain some feedback regarding the rough order of magnitude of the level of effort for the SQL refactoring project. The project context is based on SQL Server 2000 and is in the process of moving to SQL Server 2005.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• It seems to me that you would be better looking at the SQL Dependency Tracker product, and SQL Doc. These will enable you to see information about the database and how objects are connected. This will enable you to analyses the database and recommend changes to the schema as required.

SQL Refactor is a tool that enables you to standardise your code and place it in a formatting that will make it easier to read. There are some additional options like table splitting that aid database manipulation but it will not make recommendations on what make be causing your database to run in a certain way.

Regards
    Dan
    Daniel Handley
    Red Gate Software Ltd