Options

Ants Spike Test Always Fails

AviramAviram Posts: 3
edited June 21, 2007 9:46AM in ANTS Load
Hey,

I am trying to do a spike test and it always fails for me. I try as low as a 5 user spike test. The script size does not matter (I went as low as just logging in to an e-mail account and e-mail myself a simple message).

I have tried this test from a P4 PC with 1gig ram and high speed connection, as well as trying this from a server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Can you please let me know what the failure is? For instance, do the results show that the test failed (5% of requests fell outside of the set criteria) or does the ANTS Load program actually throw an error message?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hello Brian,

The failure is always : 5 virtual clients *FAILED*

If I use a greater point then I get that number.

I would say it is the site, but I have tested numerous sites that I know can handle way more then 5 users at a time.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I suppose there are a few things you could look into to make the test results appear 'successful'. On one hand, you could up the number of seconds that are unacceptable for 5% of requests or more in the load settings. You can also 'ignore the first x seconds of the test'. Sometimes, you will get a few requests that are way, way off, and you can possibly filter these out this way.

It also depends on the test scenario -- for instance maybe your site can handle 5 users, but if the Sleep() pauses in the script are really short or nonexistent, it's not a realistic test. A real user might stop to read a page for a few minutes, for instance, so long pages should have long sleep times between them. Any recorded script be accurate already as the Sleep times are the same as the user session that had created the script. If the script was created by hand, though, there is a possibility that you're following one request right after another, which would probably be many more requests per second than 5 users would normally generate.