Syncronizing empty database problem

mohaaronmohaaron Posts: 46
edited June 12, 2007 7:13AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I'm now trying to copy a database that has been use use for a while into a new empty database and have the same problem I'm having with the data compare. The objects are not being created in the correct order so the script fails. I'm now realizing that this script which is failing might also be useful to you in solving my data compare problem. What address should I send this to?

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Sorry that you appear to be having problems synchronizing to a new empty database.

Please send your synchronization script into support@red-gate.com and please title your e-mail message with the following call reference number:F0002567

Also can you please save a SQL Compare snapshot of the source database and attach the resulting snp file to the same message.

To perform the snapshot, open SQL Compare and load up your project. Once the inital comparison has completed, from the file menu -> Save snapshot of 'database_name'.

Finally please provide details of the target database, is the database SQL 2000 or SQL 2005.

Once we receive the above requested information, we should be able to help you.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Technical Support Engineer
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    E-Mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Sorry for the long delay in replying.

You have uncovered a bug in SQL Compare which is not going to be fixed. The reason why we cannot fix your issue is due to circular dependencies.

SQL Compare creates the synchronization script in dependency order, so if you have a function dependant on a table, the table is created before the function.

In your scenario, the synchronization fails due to the fact that a number of functions require a table called dbo.CustomerOrder. However SQL Compare synchronization script creates the functions before the table is created and the synchronization fails. When the script is modified so that the table dbo.CustomerOrder is created before the functions, the synchronization still fails as the table requires that the functions be already created.

The above is one of many circular dependencies you have in place, so regrettably SQL Compare cannot help you in this scenario.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie davis
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    Technical Support Engineer
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com