Not working in Vista

ojm37ojm37 Posts: 10
edited June 20, 2007 6:16PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I have Sql-Prompt version 3.10.1.0 and I'm running SQL Server 2000. I am running all this on a new Dell machine (core-2-duo 2.4GHz, 2G Ram) running Windows Vista.

After re-installing all my apps, SQL-Prompt 3 is no longer working (was working on my old XP SP2 workstation): I open Query Analyzer as usual but I get no SQL-Prompt3 dialog saying it's connecting and no code-completion is working.

Can you help?
Owen

Comments

• Do you have the SQL Prompt menu in Query Analyzer? Can you go to the options under this Menu and check that SQL Prompt Availability is turned to 'On'?

Can you right-click on the Prompt icon in the task bar? Is 'Start SQL Prompt when you start Query Analyzer' ticked?
  • I do not have a SQL-prompt menu in Query Analyzer....
    Owen
  • Can you kindly check if SQL Prompt is present in your task tray?
    If not, please do start your SQL Prompt tray application from the Start-Programs menu which would enable SQL Prompt on your Query Analyser.
    Alternatively, try to restart Query Analyser on starting the SQL Prompt tray application.

Thanks,
    Tanya
  • Yes, the SQL Prompt icon is there in the task tray.
    Owen
  • Hello Owen,

Would you also ensure if 'Start SQL Prompt when you start Query Analyzer' is checked? You can find this option when you right click on SQL Prompt's task tray icon.

Thanks,
    Tanya
  • Yes, the checkbox for 'Start SQL Prompt when you start Query Analyzer' is checked.
    Owen
  • tanya wrote:
    Hello Owen,

Would you also ensure if 'Start SQL Prompt when you start Query Analyzer' is checked? You can find this option when you right click on SQL Prompt's task tray icon.

Thanks,
    Tanya

Yes, it's checked. Any ideas why it's not working?
    Owen
  • Hi. Are you still having issues with SQL Prompt? If you are could you email support@red-gate.com and we can have a look into this issue for you.

Thanks
  • Looks like it's a known issue: if you start SQL Query Analyzer from inside SQL2000 Enterprise Manager, you don't get SQL Prompt. However, if you start SQL Query Analyzer from the start menu, SQL Prompt works fine.

Thanks,
    Owen
    Owen
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Owen,

This is true; one of our developers kindly explained this to me yesterday. Because of the rather interesting way SQL Prompt hooks into Query Analyzer's menu bar, it has to be launched by the user from the desktop or start menu. Running QA from inside the Enterprise Manager Tools menu or using the runAs command doesn't alert SQL Prompt TrayApp that it has started.

Sorry for the inconvenience!