Socket Error # 10053

Carl CorwinCarl Corwin Posts: 8
edited May 28, 2007 4:20PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I try to configure the E-Mail preference and when I try to send the Test Email, I receive the following error message box :

Socket Error # 10053 Software caused connection abort.

Please advise !

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Do you have a firewall set up on your server, that might be preventing the SQL Backup email module from sending mail?

Try sending an email manually from your server, via the SMTP server. You can use the steps here (http://www.activexperts.com/activemail/telnet/) as a guide.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi petey,

Thanks for the prompt answer ! ! ! :D

Our SQL server does not have any firewall onto it.

I have verify our Anti-virus software and SQBCoreService.exe is listed in the allow list of program to send email.

Does the SQL Backup email module has a specific name (.exe) so I can add it to the exception list of programs allow to send email :?:

I have made a test email from Outlook Express and it work.
    Even some local WBScripts can send email from that server.

Please advise ! (Thanks in advance)
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The executable name of the SQL Backup service is SQBCoreService.exe. Were you able to telnet to the SMTP server to send email? Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi,

Telnet is not a SMTP program. Why should I use it ?
    And don't tell me that to find a SMTP server you have to telnet it !!!!

The server is able to send SMTP mail, the SQL Agent service is able to send SMTP mail, my own vbscript is able to send SMTP mail too from that server so why I cannot use SQL Backup to send email ?

From that SQL server, I can send email two ways usually, one directly to my SMTP server (external IP with no account needed), the other way is by using the local IIS SMTP domain relay setup on that server.

Please Help !
  • Carl,

Using a telnet client to test SMTP is a good test form our point of view as it makes a direct TCP connection rather than using any windows subsystems (other than the TCP stack). Directions on how to do it are describe here: http://www.rdpslides.com/webresources/FAQ00035.htm

Hope this helps,

- James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd