Log Shipping Wizard : SQL Backup v5.0 Bug

csmcsm Posts: 17
edited May 28, 2007 12:16AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hey All -

Just wanted to report some trouble we had utilizing the SQL Backup v5 Log Shipping Wizard in the GUI.

Our source server and destination server are spread across a 1.5 mb private line WAN.

Following completion of the wizard steps, when the process would start - the GUI seizes up while copying the source backup to the destination server. We tried this two times; once using the source server as the log shipping share; once using the destination server as the log shipping share.

The GUI becomes unresponsibe. The backup does complete, however the remainder of the Log Shipping setup does not complete... creating log backup jobs, and creating log restore jobs.

I believe this is related to the size of our seed backup. The log shipping wizard did perform very well on a small seed; however on one of our larger databases, where the seed backup took ~4 hours to transfer over the network - the SQL Backup GUI completely froze up on the machine running the wizard.

If there is any additional information I can provide to help diagnose the issue I'd be more than happy to help.

Thank you!
Colby

Comments

• I think you are right in thinking that the issue is to do with the size of the database.

As you are using a 1.5MB WAN for communication it might be a good idea to set up some of the log shipping outside of the Log Shipping Wizard to save on network resources.

What I would suggest is to take a full backup of the primary database, copy it to the DR server and restore WITH RECOVERY, OR WITH STANDBY. You could then use the log shipping wizard and select the newly restored standby database. This would mean that when you come to use the log shipping wizard the full database has already been copied across and restored, so it is just the jobs that get created through the Log Shipping Wizard.

I hope this is helpful.
    Chris
  • What I would suggest is to take a full backup of the primary database, copy it to the DR server and restore WITH RECOVERY, OR WITH STANDBY. You could then use the log shipping wizard and select the newly restored standby database. This would mean that when you come to use the log shipping wizard the full database has already been copied across and restored, so it is just the jobs that get created through the Log Shipping Wizard.

Hi Chris,

I did not realize that using the "Overwrite existing database" would function as such --- I had incorrectly assumed that it would re-perform the initial backup/restore. The documentation backs up your direction... good to know for next time!

I basically achieved this same result by creating the backup, restoring WITH RECOVERY, and then manually creating a log backup job with copy to dr share, and manually creating the restore job with moveto. It works perfect... just wanted to advise of the issue with using the wizard... particularly the GUI -- the file copy and restore of the database appeared to work; however as the gui was hung, the wizard would not proceed to the next step of creating the jobs.

Thanks!