Options

VB.NET 2005 License Problem

KajanKajan Posts: 3
edited May 26, 2007 7:01PM in SQL Toolkit Previous Versions
Hi Guys

I have SQL Toolkit license and it works fine in my development machine but when I try to run the application on a new machine, it is asking for activation.

I have a licenses.licx file included with the following line inside:

RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database, RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine

and the build action for this file is set as Embedded Resource.

What am I missing?

Thanking you in advance for your time
Kajan

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Kajan,

Honestly, I don't think you have missed a trick. I'd recommend deleting licenses.licx (delete it from the file folder as well as 'unlinking' it from the project) and re-creating it as per the instructions in the help file. Then click 'Rebuild' to compile the application, at which point you should be asked for your Toolkit serial number so you can licence the project. Note the Rebuild, versus Build, sometimes sorts out embedded resource updates when embedded resources change.
  • Options
    Now I know the problem. I have been renaming the RedgateSchemaCommand.exe to redgate.exe for ease of use and the licensing system does not like this.
    It works fine as long as I keep the original name.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Kajan,

Thanks for the information -- I have confirmed this: you cannot rename an assembly created using Toolkit because it 'breaks' the licensing. You have to name the assembly to the original name, or make sure that you configure the output assembly name in Visual Studio to the desired name before you build the project.

Thank you very much for passing along this information.