Options

Comparison Key Feature Request

dpuzadpuza Posts: 13
edited August 10, 2007 10:44AM in SQL Data Compare Previous Versions
I want to run a comparison, and the database in question has many tables with no primary keys, unique indexes, or unique constraints defined... no comment on that... I don't really have control over the database... but I still want to run a comparison on the data. So it seems like what I need to do is, for each table, set a custom comparison key over all the columns on the table.

As far as I can tell there is no way to select and check multiple columns at once for the custom key. My request is to have the checkboxes on this work similarly to the "SQL Compare" (not Data Compare) main comparison, where you can select multiple rows and then click one checkbox to select them all.

Even better, it would be nice to have an "All Columns" option in the "Comparison Key" combo box drop down list on both the Tables & Views tab and the columns window that pops up. And to have an easy way to set this on many tables at once that "could not be compared".

I understand that this is probably horrible for performance, but for a lot of small tables that I have no control over, I would prefer this rather than "could not be compared".

Comments

• Options
    I post this only because I just had to set these custom comparison keys up on a database with 22 tables that "could not be compared" with an average of 20-66 columns on each table... :lol: :twisted:

click click...
    down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space...
    click click...
    down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space... down key... space...

etc. etc...
  • Options
    And the synchronization worked great... took only about a minute
  • Options
    I have the same dilema sometimes and would like to see this feature in the next release.
  • Options
    I am doing this again on an even larger number of "could not compare" tables with many columns. I found that you can highlight multiple columns, and not click the checkbox, but instead press space they will all select at once. This workaround will save me some time and aggravation, but I still would like to see the changes I mentioned above to streamline the process.

EDIT: You can even click one of the rows, (don't click the checkbox) press Ctrl A for select all, then space. to make this repetetive manual workaround process go fastest.
  • Options
    j.salmonj.salmon Posts: 44 Bronze 2
    Like dpuza, our database has several smaller keys defined.........also like dpuza, I dunno why; but I am stuck with copying it nightly (minus several very large tables).

Given that, is there an option to "ignore comparison key" and just force a copy of the data (if not, I'm requesting it)? I'm going to rebuild the schema and data nightly, so the data should just be copied. Many of these tables contain less that 10 rows. Obviously "ignore comparison key" would normally be very bad for 2 dbs that already exist and have data; but when trying to rebuild a database from scratch, it would be very nice (for people stuck with databases lacking keys, etc in many tables).