Options

Data Compare process.

kevinmakevinma Posts: 5
Hi
I am working on synchronising 3 large databases to one data warehouse. The rules are determined but the only way to efficiently run the update is to delete the table on each refresh and build it again, which is not really useful. I would like to know how DC5 checks the records. I saw a check process document but at the time did not pay much attention to it as I was researching something else. The document said that DC5 does a sumation or parity check prior to the main comaprison, and if the initial check returns a 'no' then it knows no records have been changed. What exectly is this process.
We are in the process of upgrading to the pro edition for command line automation, but this is months away and I need a quick and 'dirty' solution asap.
Thank you for your help.
Kevin
PS brilliant application, thanks for such an easy tool to use.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Kevin,

SQL Server 2005 had introduced a new feature where a CRC would automatically be calculated against the database. If the CRC of two databases match, then they can be considered to be equal. This means that it's not necessary to go looking through all of the data.

As I said, though, it works only on SQL 2005!