Options

SSMS Analysis Services with SQL Search

VratislavVratislav Posts: 12 New member
Hello,
I would like to report BUG. When I have opened window with SQL Search and I'll try to connect to Analysis Services Server, I will get the error message provided below and then the whole SSMS will fall down. The similar behavior is when I firstly connect to Analysis Services Server and then I open SQL Search window - here I will not get any error message. If I do not use SQL Search window with SSAS, SSMS is working.

Thank you,
Vratislav
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    DietmarDietmar Posts: 5 New member
    Same problem for me. Any help?
  • Options
    Hello, 

Can you please let me know the version of SQL Search you have installed?

Best, 

Hassan 
    Product Support Engineer
  • Options
    Hello,
    SQL Search 3.6.12.4244 and SSMS 18.12.1

Vratislav
  • Options
    hassan_imamhassan_imam Posts: 35 Bronze 1
    edited March 6, 2024 3:50PM
    Hey Vratislav, 

My apologies for the oversight, Given the distinct functionalities and focus areas of SQL Search and SSAS, SQL Search is not directly applicable to SSAS. Redgate's SQL Search tool is tailored towards the relational database aspects managed through SQL Server and does not natively interact with the OLAP cubes, dimensions, and measures managed within SSAS.

For tasks specific to SSAS, such as searching within cube definitions, MDX scripts, or other analysis services objects, you might need to explore other tools

Best, 

Hassan 
    Product Support Engineer
  • Options
    Ok, I understand of the scope of your product, but as I wrote, for me is annoying that it cause falling down SSMS.

Vratislav
  • Options
    SQL Search 3.6.12.4244 and SSMS 19.3.4.0
  • Options
    @Dietmar do you have same behavior with the newest SSMS?
  • Options
    as far as i know, 19.3.4.0 is the latest version, and i have the same problem with this version 
  • Options
    JonIQJonIQ Posts: 5 New member
    This is a bug and needs to be addressed. I'm getting the same issue on SSMS v18.12.1 after updating to SQL Search v3.6. If I connect to Analysis Services via SSMS it crashes with this error. The response from RedGate to say the tool is only for relational databases is of no relevance, it should not prevent me connecting to SSAS via SSMS and cause SSMS to fall over. 
  • Options
    Apologies again for the oversight, Ill attempt a replication and get back to you with an update.

Best, 

Hassan 
    Product Support Engineer
  • Options
    I have uninstalled SQL Search and still appear to be getting the error. I did update the whole toolbelt suite so could possibly be related to something else? But we have multiple users so it's possible machine needs a restart.

• Options
    I managed to replicate the behavior, although I'm uncertain about the specific product causing the issue. Interestingly, I've uninstalled most of the SSMS tools, yet the error persists. I will keep you posted. 

Best, 

Hassan 
    Product Support Engineer
  • Options
    Could you please confirm whether you have SQL Data Generator installed? It appears to be the source of the issue.

Best, 

Hassan 
    Product Support Engineer
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2024 4:10PM
    Can confirm we have Data Generator installed. We currently use this though so uninstalling not really an option. Appreciate the quick detection of this. The problematic 'RedGate.SharedSSMS.2018.dll' seems to be shared across a number of the tools and they are all the same version. Is the DLL a red herring, or does it need a patch?
  • Options
    I do not have installed SQL Data Generator, I have only SQL Search tool.
  • Options
    So, here is a list of recently identified problematic products. The current recommendation is to revert to versions predating these instances

Updated list of affected products:
    SQL Doc 5.2.17.4123
    SQL Dependency Tracker 3.3.21.4776
    SQL Data Generator 4.5.10.4976
    SQL Data Generator 4.5.11.5037
    SQL Source Control 7.7.3+

https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/

Vratislav & Deitmar:Can you confirm if uninstalling lets SSMS connect without issue? Also, can you show us all of the redgate products and their version you have installed. So I can promptly forward your version to our developers so they're aware that it's affecting this product as well.

I will keep you posted with updates.

• Options
    Hello @hassan_imam
    I do not have installed any of these products on my laptop.

Vratislav
  • Options
    Vratislav, When you uninstall SQL Search, Are you able to connect to your SSAS instance? 
  • Options
    Hello @hassan_imam
    I can connect to SSAS instance also with installed SQL Search, but I have to have closed SQL Search window. With opened SQL Search Windows it will fall down.

Vratislav
  • Options
    HI Vratislav, 

Thank you for the info. Our development team is aware of this issue, and they are currently working on a fix expected to be available later this week. I will notify you as soon as it becomes available.

Hassan 
    Product Support Engineer
  • Options
    PawJPawJ Posts: 11 Bronze 1
    We have the same issue: our info here:

===================================

Error connecting to '<servername>'.

===================================

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (RedGate.SharedSSMS.2019)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ConnectionManager2018Plus.TryConvertConnectionPropertiesFromSqlConnectionInfo(SqlConnectionInfo connectionInfo, IConnectionProperties& connectionProperties)
       at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ObjectExplorerShared.ParseNodeInformationInner(INodeInformation node)
       at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ObjectExplorerShared.ParseNodeInformation(INodeInformation node)
       at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ObjectExplorer2012Plus.SetSelectedNode(INodeInformation node)
       at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ObjectExplorer2012Plus.AfterSelect(Object sender, TreeViewEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeViewEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, TreeViewEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnAfterSelect(TreeViewEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnSelected(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.LazyTreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.SendMessage(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SendMessage(Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ReflectMessageInternal(IntPtr hWnd, Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmNotify(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ParkingWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr wndProc, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.DefWndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.LazyTreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.SendMessage(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SendMessage(Int32 msg, Int32 wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.set_SelectedNode(TreeNode value)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ObjectExplorerControl.AddHierarchy(SqlOlapConnectionInfoBase info, IExplorerHierarchy hierarchy)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlStudio.Explorer.ObjectExplorerService.ConnectToServer(UIConnectionInfo connectionInfo, IDbConnection liveConnection, Boolean validateConnection)

-----------------------------------------

Version Information:

Red-Gate Promt 10.14.8.6563

SQL Server Management Studio 19.3.4.0
    SQL Server Management Objects (SMO) 16.200.48053.0+08fe64c9e8eb5ff3c7ea5787f145e9ecb3d57df8
    Microsoft T-SQL Parser 17.0.27.0+b6df00d03710e3fafcbe827aad08bdbe9d45d1ab
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 16.0.20054.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.19041.3570
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0 
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 10.0.19045

• Options
    Any news?
  • Options
    Hi all,

The latest bundle installer listed below should contain the fix for this issue:
    SQL Toolbelt Essentials

Let me know how it works for you.
  • Options
    works for me now