Best way to install DLM automation

Hi, we are in the process of migrating our build and deployment environments to new servers.

Our build server makes a snapshot that is used by the deployment server whenever a customer decides to upgrade (in sync with a client application).

On the old build server I had installed the toolbelt and activated it with SQLCompare.exe /activateSerial:###-###-#####-####
However the /activateSerial commandline seems to be unsupported on the latest version?

On the new deployment server our admin installed a version using powershell Install-Module SqlChangeAutomation.
however this appears to be an older version since we get this message: "The database snapshot was saved by a newer version of SQL Compare"

The deployment server has no UI (windows core), the build server does have a UI, so my questions are:

- What is the recommended way to install the DLM automation tools on both servers?
- How can I deactivate the old server and activate the license on the new server?

Best regards,
Louis
Tagged:

Best Answers

• David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,431 Rose Gold 2
    Yes, the licensing of the SQL Compare command line has indeed changed. Could you try the /allUsers switch as described here.

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • RobynRobyn Posts: 173 Silver 5
    Hi Louis, 

I have just adjusted your license which should get rid of the below message; 
    "All 5 of the entitlements for serial #### have already been claimed. Login to www.red-gate.com to view your licenses."

Please could you try exactly the same steps again and let us know whether it is successful for you? 

You also mentioned that you don't see a DLM license anymore. DLM was replaced by SQL Change Automation which you should see listed in your SQL Toolbelt bundle.
    Kind regards

Robyn Edwards | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Victoria WVictoria W Posts: 325 Gold 2
    Hi @LouisSomers

Apologies, can you try again please, it should work now.
    Kind regards

Victoria Wiseman | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• LouisSomersLouisSomers Posts: 23 Bronze 2
    edited January 24, 2023 4:08PM
    I tried upgrading the DLM tools:
    Update-Module SqlChangeAutomation

But that had no effect.
    SQL Compare Command Line V13.6.6.8310

How do I install V 14 without a GUI?
  • Thank you. I finally managed to install Sql Compare 15 by extracting the MSI file form SqlToolbelt and then installing it on the deployment server using an msiexec commandline.

Then I tried to activate it with the /allUsers option which does not give the unsupported error any more.
    Only I run into this problem:
    "All 5 of the entitlements for serial #### have already been claimed. Login to www.red-gate.com to view your licenses."

I logged in but cannot see any seperate DLM license (we used to have one).

Is it still possible to run the DLM tools on a server with a toolbelt license (it used to be included) or will we now have to get extra licenses for the build and deployment servers?
  • I tried it now, but I get exactly the same message.
  • Hi Victoria,
    Sorry, RedGate has handled this privately via email (support ticket #285091).
    It's all registered and working now.
    I should have closed this.
    Thanks again,
    Louis