SQL Prompt update v10.12.5.30313 wiped out Tab History

2»

Comments

• StevePeStevePe Posts: 8 New member
    edited October 20, 2022 12:50PM
    Same issue. Any updates?
    Tab history usually doesn't return anything. Occasionally returns results after 10 - 30 seconds. I'd prefer it worked like it did before version 10.12.5. I downgraded to 10.12.4.29949 as a temporary workaround.

• jsreynolds1jsreynolds1 Posts: 82 Silver 1
    edited October 20, 2022 6:05PM
    Version 10.12.6.30951 doesn't seem to fix anything for me concerning tabs.

Thinking my settings might be the problem, I changed them to this, restarted, but still the same problem.

• Bobby_TablesBobby_Tables Posts: 12 Bronze 2
    edited October 24, 2022 11:44PM
    I'm sure I'm not the only one but upgrading to 10.12.6.30951 did not resolve the issue. I reinstalled 10.12.4.29949.
  • rhodrierhodrie Posts: 18 Bronze 3
    edited November 11, 2022 10:58AM
    I run SSMS under 3 different accounts depending on the environments I'm connecting to.  Since the change from "SavedTabs.db" to "SqlHistory.db" it is now only possible to run SSMS under one Windows account at a time.  To change to an instance of SSMS under a different Windows account I must first close all instances and restart the RedGateClient service.  If I try to run SSMS under multiple Windows accounts I get the "Access to the path is denied" error on the 2nd instance.
  • rhodrie said:
    I run SSMS under 3 different accounts depending on the environments I'm connecting to.  Since the change from "SavedTabs.db" to "SqlHistory.db" it is now only possibly to run SSMS under one Windows account at a time.  To change to an instance of SSMS under a different Windows account I must first close all instances and restart the RedGateClient service.  If I try to run SSMS under multiple Windows accounts I get the "Access to the path is denied" error on the 2nd instance.
    I'm still using 10.12.4.  for that same reason.
  • links917links917 Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    edited October 25, 2022 8:01PM
    When I attempt to use Tab History, I receive a semaphore timeout error as shown below.  This occurred before and after I removed SqlHistory.db   

For those who downgraded to 10.12.4, is that version available for download?  For v10 on Redgate's site I see the current version only.

• For ease, whilst we look into this issue, please find a link below to SQL Prompt version 10.12.4
    https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.12.4.29949.exe 
    Kind regards

Robyn Edwards | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
    Downgrading to 10.12.4.29949 fixed the Tab History problem.
  • bug_rodeo_clownbug_rodeo_clown Posts: 3 New member
    edited November 3, 2022 2:10PM
    .. deleted duplicate post ..
  • Hello, 

I spent some time trying to debug this issue in 10.12.6 (thinking it was an issue with my system), and have just found this thread (revealing it's a sql prompt bug)

In my case, the Tab History window takes ~20 seconds to return results, at first opening, and after every single search character is entered. (seems like it's trying to issue a new query each character). If a character is entered while it's already searching. (ie typing a letter before the 20 seconds, or typing 2 in a row) it crashes with that semaphore timeout.

While it's hanging for 20 seconds, the RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Server.exe chews a cpu core for the whole 20 seconds.

Running xperf on that process while it hangs shows nearly all the time is spent in mscorlib.ni.dll!System.IO.Path.GetTempPath(), notably spending most of its time in in System.IO.LongPathHelper.TryExpandShortFileName().

Running procmon while it hangs shows it reading directory properties on my appdata/local temp directory > 18,000 times, taking ~1ms per loop iteration (call -> call latency). I notice it calling against my profile directory 8.3 shortname.

Note: My temp directory is nearly empty, maybe a dozen files currently in use.

I hope this is useful.

If you have a public debug symbol server, please let me know.

• kalokalo Posts: 82 Bronze 5
    edited November 11, 2022 10:20AM
    klaursen said:
    Same issue. I have my "SavedTabs.db" on OneDrive (referred from RedGate_SQLPrompt_CommonUI_Options_TabMagicOptions.xml). RedGate_SQLPrompt_CommonUI_Options_TabMagicOptions.xml has not been modified by the installation, and SavedTabs.db still has the same file size. So assuming that history is still in there. But nothing is shown in SSMS. Workarounds mentioned above do not work.
    Hi - would you mind sharing you managed to do this [point to onedrive rather than local drive - just mapping]? I tried a while back and kept being thwarted - always worried if my laptop goes kaput i'm going to lose my precious history!
  • rhodrierhodrie Posts: 18 Bronze 3
    Installed SQL History 10.13.0.31319 this morning - seems to solve the issues I've been having with SQL History.  It also introduces SQL History as a tab within SSMS (the pop out window is still available by clicking the history icon in the bottom right of this tab.)
  • kalokalo Posts: 82 Bronze 5
    rhodrie said:
    Installed SQL History 10.13.0.31319 this morning - seems to solve the issues I've been having with SQL History.  It also introduces SQL History as a tab within SSMS (the pop out window is still available by clicking the history icon in the bottom right of this tab.)
    Thanks - was going to ask if anyone had validated this release. That's great if it's no longer just a pop-up that disappears when you accidentally click outside of it.

Don't suppose anyone know it it is possible to merge a tab-history saved prior to rolling back version to the tab-history db maintained over last few weeks?
  • I installed 10.13.0.31319... so far no problems, and the history is a breath of fresh air. Still took a while to come up, but apparently I had an enormous number of SQL statements in history. I was able to easily remove everything older than a month, and when I re-opened it the response was near-instantaneous.
  • RKempfRKempf Posts: 2 New member
    edited November 14, 2022 7:23AM
    After upgrading to 10.13.0.31319 i got the same error than links917... "the semophore timeout period has exipired... so no, the new 10.13. does not solve the problem. I need to go back to 10.12.4.29949

Ahhh, after deleting the file SqlHistory.db it works now...seams to be a problem of the installtion...
  • StevePeStevePe Posts: 8 New member
    edited November 14, 2022 1:53PM
    Upgrading to version 10.13.0.31319 fixed the issue. SQL history is present now, from today to early 2021. Really like that it's in a tab now too!
  • gwalkeyPFgwalkeyPF Posts: 6 New member
    10.13.0.31319 still throwing errors when you close the window
    Can we turn OFF grouping?
    and the cute animations?
  • gwalkeyPFgwalkeyPF Posts: 6 New member
    Can we store the history in a faster performing DB, say SQL Server?
  • I upgraded to 10.13.0.31319, and it resolves the semaphore error I had previously.  It is rather slow to open however.  I timed it twice and it took 1 minute 19 seconds to open.  But the look and feel is very much improved over Tab History.
  • requesttoprequesttop Posts: 1 New member
    We also have this problem. The person who installed the update did not have the issue. 
    @requesttop, are you referring to the time it takes to open SQL History?  I just updated to 10.13.1.31417, and it still takes 1 minute 26 seconds to open it.  Running in SSMS 18.12.1.
  • robertr@tenaco.comrobertr@tenaco.com Posts: 16 Bronze 2
    edited December 1, 2022 7:21PM
    Thank you all for saving me from doing this update.  I am still running v10.12.4.29949 and will wait for some positive feedback here before I move to a newer version.
  • links917 said:
    @requesttop, are you referring to the time it takes to open SQL History?  I just updated to 10.13.1.31417, and it still takes 1 minute 26 seconds to open it.  Running in SSMS 18.12.1.
    I'm not seeing this speed issue. While it does not open immediately, it only takes a few seconds for mine. The latest version is working well so far.

How large are your history files?
  • robertr@tenaco.comrobertr@tenaco.com Posts: 16 Bronze 2
    edited December 1, 2022 7:24PM
    links917 said:
    I'm not seeing this speed issue. While it does not open immediately, it only takes a few seconds for mine. The latest version is working well so far.

Does anyone have a comparison of how long it takes for the history tab in 10.12.4.29949(or older) vs 10.13.1.31417 ?
    links917 said:

SavedTabs.db is 126Mb and SqlHistory.db is 145Mb.
  • links917 said:
    links917 said:

SavedTabs.db is 126Mb and SqlHistory.db is 145Mb.
    For me: SavedTabs.db is 1.7 Mb and SqlHistory.db is 388 Mb.
  • Hi All

Just to clarify a few things on this.
    The semaphore issue should be resolved in versions past 10.13.0 if it continues please could you raise a ticket with us.

If you are receiving blank tab history is it located in the non standard location of the localappdata folder? 

As for the speed, the team have some changes they believe may help with this in the coming version 10.13.2, although I do not have an eta on this at this currently.