Tab History not available in Prompt 10.13.0.31319

I've recently had a new build (forced upon me) and have had to reinstall everything.

I'm running SSMS 18.21.1 and cannot get SQL Prompt to work correctly at all.

I've had the IT team (no longer have admin authority) to uninstall and reinstall toolbelt, etc. a few times, post SSMS and VS installs.

SQL history doesn't appear to retain full history, and Tab History button and functionality is not available at all.

Tab History is a great tool and not having it as part of the Redgate tools is a big miss.

Are there any known problems/compatibility issues with my versions?

Tab History is just not available to add as a button.

Tagged:

Answers

• redpetejredpetej Posts: 4 New member
    A quick afterthought on this. Is it because Tab History has been replaced with SQL History in the version I have?
  • Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out and I apologize that you are running into issues with SQL Prompt.

In the latest versions of SQL Prompt, the development team has added the Sqlhistory.DB file along with the SavedTabs.DB file. You should have both within your SQL Prompt 10 folder.

Can you please try these troubleshooting steps:

1.  Browse to %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10\

2.  Delete the file "SqlHistory.db" (make a copy elsewhere first)

3.  Relaunch SSMS 

You won't lose your Tab History (since it is stored in another file) and when you open a new session of SSMS, SQL Prompt creates a new SqlHistory.db file.

Kind Regards,
    David K.
    Product Support Engineer
    Hi,
    I don't have a SavedTabs.DB file in that folder, only the Sqlhistory.DB
    I deleted it and started SSMS but still don't see Tab History:
    Attached is a screen shot of the options I see.
    thanks
  • dstowedstowe Posts: 3 New member
    redpetej, was this ever resolved? I am having the same issue.
    Sort of. Apparently from that version onwards, SQL History replaces Tab History. It's not stated in the release notes or prompted at install, hence the confusion. I didn't like SQL History (it's overkill for the purpose) so I reverted my version and still use one with Tab History.
  • USMC5537USMC5537 Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    @dstowe & @redpetej - while they did remove the option from their toolbar in the UI, you can still access the Tab History with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+X.  However, I too reverted back to 10.12 so the Tab History would function like it did before SQL History was introduced.
  • dstowedstowe Posts: 3 New member
    Thanks for the help. I reverted back to 10.12 also.
  • mmeermmeer Posts: 2 New member
    where did you get the install for 10.12?
  • Thanks, @dstowe!  Sadly though, Tab History started having issues and crashing so I gave in and went with the SQL History as that's where development was clearly going to be done.  It's been a hassle and a definite loss of functionality and productivity.  Trying to work around it.
  • mmeermmeer Posts: 2 New member
    Thank you!
  • david_kdavid_k Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    I also enjoyed using Tab History and preferred it to the SQL History. Sadly it looks like I have to switch...
  • GibberishGibberish Posts: 11 Bronze 1
    I just switched back to 10.12.  However, launching it with SSMS v19 appears to run into issues: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Data.Tools.SqlEditor.dll'.  I now have to switch back to using SSMS v18.  Sigh...  Red-Gate, please bring back the old Tab History in 10.13.  Thank you.
  • The removal of Tab History has been poorly handled by Redgate. SQL History is not a suitable replacement for Tab History and forcing users on to it without canvassing feedback from loyal users smacks of disrespect. 
  • For those of you hoping to get to Tab History using Ctrl+Shift+X then forget it. That option is no longer available in version : 10.13.5.16
  • DucNguyenDucNguyen Posts: 1 Bronze 1
    I run trial newest SQLPrompt_10.13.7.360 and new SSMS 19.0.2 and I have similar error and this is log i read from logs folder. I think after change from old SSMS and to new SSMS file sqlhistory.db has error

2023-05-01 16:45:14.435 +07:00 [Information] Logging level set to 'Information'
    2023-05-01 16:45:14.744 +07:00 [Information] Started successfully with identifier 'NbMNXQ7b8eUNZgI/tvdzpFniLMchsRJnuoHGvPL7QEw='
    2023-05-01 16:45:28.455 +07:00 [Fatal] Error initializing server
    code = Constraint (19), message = System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException (0x800027AF): constraint failed
    FOREIGN KEY constraint failed
       at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Reset(SQLiteStatement stmt)
       at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Step(SQLiteStatement stmt)
       at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader.NextResult()
       at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader..ctor(SQLiteCommand cmd, CommandBehavior behave)
       at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteNonQuery(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Storage.Upgrades.Migrations.Migration.Run(IDbCommand command)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Storage.Upgrades.SchemaUpgrader.RunSchemaMigration(IDbConnection connection, Int64 fromVersion)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Storage.Upgrades.SchemaUpgrader.UpgradeToLatestVersion(IDbConnection connection)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Storage.StoreInitializer.InitializeInner(String tabHistoryPath, String sqlHistoryPath)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Storage.StoreInitializer.Initialize(String tabHistoryPath, String sqlHistoryPath)
    2023-05-01 16:45:28.665 +07:00 [Error] Error processing query: GetQueryVersions
    System.NotSupportedException: Unknown save reason QueryClosed
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Storage.SaveReasonConverter.ToSaveReason(String saveReason)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Storage.Queries.Sql.GetQueryVersion.CreateQueryVersion(IDataReader reader)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Storage.Queries.Sql.GetQueryVersions.<Run>d__2.MoveNext()
       at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Storage.Queries.QueryStore.GetQueryVersions(Guid queryIdentity)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Server.Queries.QueryProcessor.Handle(QueryOperation operation)
    2023-05-01 16:45:28.666 +07:00 [Information] Skipping indexing due to an up-to-date index
    2023-05-01 16:45:28.672 +07:00 [Error] Error serializing operation result json: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Messaging.NamedPipeStream.Write(String message)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Server.NamedPipeListener.ProcessQuery(INamedPipeStream stream, QueryOperation operation)
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Messaging.NamedPipeStream.Write(String message)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Server.NamedPipeListener.ProcessQuery(INamedPipeStream stream, QueryOperation operation)
    2023-05-01 16:45:28.683 +07:00 [Information] Killing process 'RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Server'

• William_PGAWilliam_PGA Posts: 2 New member
    Tab history was a million times better than SQL history which is way overkill and ironically did not save the history I needed.  Amazing!   Please bring back Tab history.