Tab History is Blank

SQL Prompt 10.11.5.26913.
SSMS 15.0.18390.0
SavedTabs.db is 842MB.

When I click on the Tab History link button, the list if blank. Why?  How can I access the Saved Tabs?

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi Rick,

Thank you for waiting.

Can you try closing SSMS and SQL Prompt, renaming the SavedTabs.db to something else then reopening SSMS and SQL Prompt.

This should recreate your SavedTabs.db and hopefully fix the issue. However, you will not have access to your previous tab history.

If the above does not work, can you send the newly created SavedTabs.db file?

Thank you!

Kind regards,

David Kim
    Product Support Engineer

• AHeineAHeine Posts: 4 New member
    Hi there, 
    i'm also having the same issue, did as suggested, and a bunch of previous tabs reopened but when open Tab History there is still not anything, tabs that was open when SSMS is closed are reopened but I cannot search for any tabs, it stays blank, 
    SQL Prompt V 10.12.5.30313
    SSMS 18.12.1
  • BaoTNMBaoTNM Posts: 2 New member
    Hi there, same issue. After i updated to latest sql prompt, the tab history went blank. Tried copying over the SavedTabs.db and SqlHistory.db file over to the user\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10 location but still nothing.
    When i remove my old SqlHistory.db file, and open ssms a new SqlHistory.db file is created but when i try to copy over my old file the sql prompt can't seem to open it and retrieve my saved sql history!

SQL Prompt V 10.12.5.30313
    SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18358.0
  • BaoTNMBaoTNM Posts: 2 New member
    Hi again. Tried a lot of ways to copy over the two files "SavedTabs.db" and "SqlHistory.db" into the folder ...\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10, and somehow it worked at the end.
    Was about to give up so i tried copy over single files into the SQL Prompt folder. SqlHistory couldn't be read as mentioned, but when the SavedTabs.db was put in alone and i opened SSMS it somehow managed to read the file and recreate a SqlHistory.db file with my history. 
    Hope my experience is helpful
  • AHeineAHeine Posts: 4 New member
    Ok so there is defiantly something wrong with the tab history,
    I've tried all the copying and removing nothing worked.
    What did work is I accidently pressed enter in the search field for the tab history and behold all the tabs opened, however its very slow when searching, and also when I click anywhere outside of tab history it closes and I have to start at the beginning, 
  • robgmayrobgmay Posts: 1 New member
    After upgrading SQL Prompt to 10.12.5.30313, my Tab History has also disappeared.
  • EltonPruittEltonPruitt Posts: 1 New member
    My Tab History has also disappeared after upgrading to 10.12.5.30313.
  • ErlingErling Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    Same here. Tab history is gone. Tried removing db-files, copy both files and single file, but nothing seems to do the trick. Noticed that if I copy the SavedTabs.db file and start SSMS, a migration seems to be going on. A temporary file called "tabhistory.migrating" is created, then the SqlHistory.db is restored, but nothing works inside SSMS. 

Also noticed that a new version is released - 10.12.6.30951 where one of the release notes is:
    "Fixed an issue with renaming tabs in Tab History". Can someone from RedGate confirm that this is a fix for the problems we are experiencing?
  • ahicksahicks Posts: 2 New member
    Erling said:
    Same here. Tab history is gone. Tried removing db-files, copy both files and single file, but nothing seems to do the trick. Noticed that if I copy the SavedTabs.db file and start SSMS, a migration seems to be going on. A temporary file called "tabhistory.migrating" is created, then the SqlHistory.db is restored, but nothing works inside SSMS. 

Also noticed that a new version is released - 10.12.6.30951 where one of the release notes is:
    "Fixed an issue with renaming tabs in Tab History". Can someone from RedGate confirm that this is a fix for the problems we are experiencing?
    I started experiencing the Blank Tab History with version 10.12.5.30313, with none of the suggested solutions involving db-files working for me either. Likewise, I saw the Release Notes for version 10.12.6.30951 and the specific 'fix' you referenced but after installing this version on my machine, Tab History has still not been fixed or return to its previous working state. I'm also getting the error pictured below when launching SSMS, which only started after the 10.12.6 release and install.

edited October 25, 2022 5:11AM
    Yeah, same here. Just installed the latest version. The log files indicate a System.IO.IOException semaphore timeout. I also noticed that the SQLPrompt server process is creating files in my temp folder, but suddenly stops. Could it be a slow file creation process timing out, @dkim1999 ?
    edited October 25, 2022 11:05AM
    BTW, we are running in a multiuser environment. Looks like the server process "RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Server.exe" is started and running as the first user starting SSMS. When the next user starts SSMS the code looks for the running process by name (decompiled code), finds it and moves on. Shouldn't there be a RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Server.exe per user? @dkim1999

• rhodrierhodrie Posts: 18 Bronze 3
    edited October 25, 2022 9:57AM
    I run SSMS under 3 different accounts depending on the environments I'm connecting to.  Since the change from "SavedTabs.db" to "SqlHistory.db" it is now only possibly to run SSMS under one Windows account at a time.  To change to an instance of SSMS under a different Windows account I must first close all instances and restart the RedGateClient service.  If I try to run SSMS under multiple Windows accounts I get the "Access to the path is denied" error on the 2nd instance.
  • jsirgjsirg Posts: 6 Bronze 2
    edited November 16, 2022 9:45PM
    I'm also getting timeouts while searching tab history on the latest version (10.12.6.30951), is there any way to go in and delete tab history after X number of days or something, as much as I would love tab history since the start of time, if i can no longer search because the file is too large (393MB), it doesnt do me a whole lot of good.  I get a bunch of timeout messages maybe like its starting to try to search as I type each letter, maybe a good workaround would be to wait for me to click the search icon before searching, seems like if i copy and paste a phrase into the search it doesnt timeout as much.
    Erling said:
    BTW, we are running in a multiuser environment. Looks like the server process "RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Server.exe" is started and running as the first user starting SSMS. When the next user starts SSMS the code looks for the running process by name (decompiled code), finds it and moves on. Shouldn't there be a RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Server.exe per user? @dkim1999

Can someone at RedGate confirm that the multi user issue has been fixed? @dkim1999? We cannot upgrade until we now that SQL History will work for multiple user accounts on the same machine.