SQL PROMTP: The semaphore timeout period has expired. Since upgrade today

Upgraded today to ver 10.12.6.30951 and got this error everytime I search my tab history

Answers

• alegend2ualegend2u Posts: 6 Bronze 3
    edited November 8, 2022 7:46PM
    Same thing thing for me, just updated to Version 10.12.6.30951 and Tab History will come up once clicked, if you don't type anything it will display items after a few seconds, but once you actually type anything to search then it waits a few seconds and throws the semaphor timeout error. It was working without issue prior to the update. Found this in the logs:
    2022-11-08 11:32:17.257 -06:00 [Error] Report error dialog UI shown
    System.IO.IOException: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.Pipes.NamedPipeClientStream.Connect(Int32 timeout)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Client.NamedPipeClientStreamFactory.Create(String identifier)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Client.MessageSender.Send(QueryOperation queryOperation)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Client.OutOfProcessQueryStore.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<Send>b__0()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Client.OutOfProcessQueryStore.GetAllQueries(String filter)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.TabHistory.UI.ViewModels.RecentTabsViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass49_0.<Search>b__0()
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.UsageReporting.ErrorReporting.ErrorReporterWithUI.Do(Action action)
  • I have tried the solution to delete the history file and Prompt recreated it but still sit with this error. @RedGate - please help. Losing faith in great product
  • RodineiRodinei Posts: 1 New member
    i have de same problem. 
    when will this issue be resolved?
  • Thanks Rodinei. Red-Gate can we please get some feedback?
  • DrDataDrData Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Same issue here - worked perfect until this version. Hoping to see this fixed soon as this product saves us tons of time.
  • BevBev Posts: 6 New member
    edited November 10, 2022 3:10PM
    ETA: I got this from Redgate support and it does appear to have cleared the issue (for the timebeing at least!)

Can you try the following steps:
    1 - Close SSMS, Delete the SQLHistory.db file located in %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10\
    2 - Open SSMS, there should be a tabhistory.migrating file in the app data folder
    3 - Leave SSMS open until the tabhistory.migrating file disappears (this will take a variable amount of time, depending on how big the existing TH database is)

Once the tab history.migrating file disappears, you should be able to open the tab history UI.

Same here, multiple times a day now and sometimes multiple times in a row.  I had to clear the error 4 times today before I could see in my tab history and search it
  • rsocolrsocol Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    I have the same problem, but the error appears intermittently.

If I apply the sugesstion in the previous comment (deleting the SQLHistory.db file), I lose a lot of history. In my case, I had a 80MB SavedTabs.db file last modified on 30 September 2022 and a 200MB SqlHistory.db file last modified today. If I delete the SqlHistory.db and restart SSMS, the file SqlHistory.db is recreated using the data from SavedTabs.db, which is more than one month old.

@redgate, please advise.
  • BevBev Posts: 6 New member
    rsocol said:
    I have the same problem, but the error appears intermittently.

If I apply the sugesstion in the previous comment (deleting the SQLHistory.db file), I lose a lot of history. In my case, I had a 80MB SavedTabs.db file last modified on 30 September 2022 and a 200MB SqlHistory.db file last modified today. If I delete the SqlHistory.db and restart SSMS, the file SqlHistory.db is recreated using the data from SavedTabs.db, which is more than one month old.

@redgate, please advise.
    You're absolutely right, my new SqlHistory.db is over 100mb smaller than the old one, which I hadn't noticed until I couldn't find something that I wanted from the day before. Glad I took a backup! I have emailed @Redgate again and asked if I can merge them
  • DrDataDrData Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    I found this link in another post for another issue, but the newest version fixed the above problem for me in SSMS 18.12.1

• JaragothJaragoth Posts: 1 New member
    DrData said:
    I found this link in another post for another issue, but the newest version fixed the above problem for me in SSMS 18.12.1

You sir are fantastic. The above worked for me as well.