Options

Do not compress .gclicx by default, just like .licenses are excluded by default

When compressing resource files,

AppName.licenses files are not compressed by default, which allows 3rd party libraries that use GetManifestResourceNames() and other methods to succeed and validate the license for the app.

It seems .gclicx files are not getting the same treatment.

To support 3rd party components that use .gclicx files (Component One / Grapce City), resource compression must be turned off for the main app.

Thanks.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options

Hi @SamanthaJ

Thank you for reaching out on the Redgate forums regarding your Smart Assembly inquiry.

I've had a look and do not believe there is a way currently to define the filetypes that do not get compressed. It's certainly an interesting scenario where you are using 3rd party files which would want to be excluded.

This would look to be a new functionality to be added into Smart Assembly and for that I'd recommend posting up a comment on our UserVoice site. 

UserVoice is our portal that allows new functionality/features to be requested directly to our developers for their consideration in the direction of software takes. Users can vote & comment on requests to assist our development teams in why the requested feature would improve your usage of our solutions.

To post a request for Smart Assembly I would recommend posting here: https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/602209-redgate

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    mmcneillmmcneill Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    Hi Jon,

I too have this issue.  I tried to post into the uservoice forum but can't post unless it's in one of the other products which isn't accurate.

If you could pass feedback on to the developers directly on behalf of myself and @SamanthaJ then I'm sure we'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi @mmcneill, @SamanthaJ

Thank you for the feedback regarding UserVoice. I had been under the impression that posting in the RedGate general one would be suitable for our .net tools; but if it's forcing you into another product then I apologize for the misguidance.

I shall now pass the feedback on internally to the developers for their consideration into a future release of SmartAssembly.

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    mmcneillmmcneill Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    Hi @Jon_Kirkwood,
    Has there been any movement on this? By not compressing strings the file size of the main Dll we create is close to 10x the size it was previously and this is having a performance impact.