SQL Prompt update v10.12.5.30313 wiped out Tab History

brian_shepardbrian_shepard Posts: 3 Bronze 2
edited September 28, 2022 8:38PM in SQL Prompt
I just updated SQL Prompt to v.10.12.5.30313  to SSMS v18.12.1 today and now my Tab History is completely wiped out.  There is nothing showing on any of the tabs.  I tried restarting SSMS 2019 and I tried starting new queries, but it is not remembering queries in Tab History.

Comments

• jsreynolds1jsreynolds1 Posts: 82 Silver 1
    edited September 28, 2022 10:54PM
    Same.
    SSMS 18.12.1
    SQL Prompt v10.12.5.30313
  • sulemankhalidsulemankhalid Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    edited September 29, 2022 6:41AM
    Same issue. Lost all history

But found a fix by restating SQL Management Studio
    Open "Tab History"
    Restore/Maximize or navigate between tabs and it appears after a few seconds

We might need to do the same every time we open history :(
  • Hi all,

We're sorry to here you're experiencing issues with Tab History, we've made some changes to the backend of feature to allow further improvements and increase functionality. It seems this is working for the majority of customers and so we're keen to work out what's going wrong here.

Could you try opening the tab history window and leaving it open for a minute or so and see if any queries load in the window?

Thanks,

Owen
    Software Engineer
    SQL Prompt / SQL Search
  • cjacja Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    Same problem here.
    SSMS 18.12.1

Tab History shows no history :-( 
  • klaursenklaursen Posts: 1 New member
    Same issue. I have my "SavedTabs.db" on OneDrive (referred from RedGate_SQLPrompt_CommonUI_Options_TabMagicOptions.xml). RedGate_SQLPrompt_CommonUI_Options_TabMagicOptions.xml has not been modified by the installation, and SavedTabs.db still has the same file size. So assuming that history is still in there. But nothing is shown in SSMS. Workarounds mentioned above do not work.
  • We also have this problem. The person who installed the update did not have the issue. But all other users did. Repairing SSMS installation fixed it for that user but broke it for the others.
  • RKempfRKempf Posts: 2 New member
    edited September 29, 2022 2:09PM
    Same issue
    since installation of SQL Prompt v10.12.5.30313
    ...Could you try opening the tab history window and leaving it open for a minute or so and see if any queries load in the window?
    Yes i did, but nothing happens

In log file sqlprompt-xxx.log i found:
    2022-09-29 16:06:59.327 +02:00 [Error] Report error dialog UI shown
    System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: value
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject(String value, Type type, JsonSerializerSettings settings)
       at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.DeserializeObject[T](String value, JsonSerializerSettings settings)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.SqlHistory.Client.OutOfProcessQueryStore.GetAllQueries(String filter)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.TabHistory.UI.ViewModels.RecentTabsViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass49_0.<Search>b__0()
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.UsageReporting.ErrorReporting.ErrorReporterWithUI.Do(Action action)
  • @ostandage, as you requested I restarted (machine), opened SSMS and SQL Prompt Tab History and let it sit. Sure enough, after about 10 seconds or less the history shows up. This was different from yesterday when it seemed like no matter how long I let it sit, nothing appeared. I haven't done anything different other than restart. 
    Note the 10 second time frame seems to be consistent - takes at least that long before things appear, which is of course different than the past.
    Best,
    --J
  • I originally reported this issue.  I have reviewed all of the responses that have worked, but I'm still not able to view Tab History.  Have left it open until the window timed out and closed itself and nothing still appeared.  My log file shows the same as user "RKempf" above ("value cannot be null" in dialog UI).  I have also done a "Repair" to my SSMS installation and restarted my machine.  My SavedTabs.db file is definitely not empty, so I know the history was not erased.   But none of this has fixed the issue.  It is unfortunate as I had a couple of tabs with code I was writing for a huge troubleshooting project and time is of the essence.
  • Thanks @jsreynolds1 - We're investigating the slow loading.

@brian_shepard - Unfortunately that error is a general error, I'll ask a colleague from our support team to contact you for some more information.

In the meantime you should be able to download the previous version of SQL Prompt here and you should get your Tab History functionality back: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.12.4.29949.exe
    Software Engineer
    SQL Prompt / SQL Search
  • Same as @brian_shepard

Only way was to uninstall and reinstall previous version.
    The Update available is still popping out...
  • EmilVEmilV Posts: 6 Bronze 1
    Same problem here. Solved by downgrading to previous version.
  • cjacja Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    Yes downgrade to prior version resolved the issue.
  • gwalkeyPFgwalkeyPF Posts: 6 New member
    Same here 10.12.5.30313 and SSMS 18.12.1
    Resizing the Tab History pulls it up, but only after 30 seconds (lots of history)
  • dhtuckerdhtucker Posts: 41 Bronze 3
    edited October 4, 2022 4:31PM
    SQL Prompt 10.12.5.30313, SSMS 18.12.1, Win 10 v 20H2

Opened SSMS, opened Tab History, waited 60sec - no response
    Switched from Starred tab to All, waited 60sec - no response
    Resized Tab History window, waited 60sec - no response
    Switched from All tab to Closed, waited 60 sec - no response
    Maximized Tab History window, waited 60 sec - no response

Uninstalled 10.12.5.30313, reinstalled 10.12.4.29949 (Thanks @ostandage for the download link!)
    Tab history restored - the uninstall graciously didn't delete %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10 so I needn't have bothered to copy it elsewhere first.

Having gone a day and a half without access to all the stuff I've trusted Tab History to store for me, I'm now concerned about:
    • What's the best way to capture a "backup" of \SQL Prompt 10, short of navigating there directly and making my own directory copy (i.e. does SQL Prompt make its own failsafe copy somewhere)?
    • How can I extract the contents of SavedTabs.db since SQL Prompt doesn't have an export/import option?  
    Doug Tucker
    Database Administrator / Software Engineer
    Nelnet Business Solutions - FACTS-SIS
  • Same problem here, almost..  I have only lost all my history from the STARRED tab.  And the history that I can see in the other tabs opens with the yellow bar down the left, which indicates that it was last closed and not saved.  this means that it pulled the query back from TEMP...  I also lost ALL the open  tabs that i left open when i closed SSMS last...   will try uninstall and revert back to previous.
    I cannot express how much this sucks, and is a huge disruption to my work day, which is a huge PITA, as i am currently without the use (temporarily) of my dominant hand, I am totally unorganized, and completely useless without this tool.
  • JerFowlerJerFowler Posts: 1 New member
    The same problem, had to install the prior version. Interestingly, when running SSMS under my normal profile Windows user account the tab history was there. When I run SSMS under my admin Windows account (runas.exe /user) the tab history is gone.
  • Same here, I did not lose my history but it takes a while for the dialog to populate. Hope to have a resolution soon but will revert to previous version for now.
  • UPDATE - Reverting back to previous version solved history and starred tab issues, and tabs that I leave open when I close SSMS are now reopenning.  HOWEVER the history of what I worked on after the update is gone for both my standard and admin accounts. 
     I can live with that.
  • danndann Posts: 1 New member
    Same problem here.
    SSMS 18.12.1

Fortunately the history isn't gone, but it takes very long to return results. 
    I've rolled back to previous version and it's responsive again, but tabs generated since the upgrade are lost.
  • robertr@tenaco.comrobertr@tenaco.com Posts: 16 Bronze 2
    edited October 12, 2022 2:16PM
    Disregard this, see next post.
  • UPDATE - I AM NOT 100% SURE ABOUT THIS ONE.  I think  since reverting back the suggestions are not all that they were.  For instance; when I type SELECT * FROM sys.objects here is what happens.
    SE = I get Prompted with a list starting with SELECT
    SELECT * = I get Prompted with a list starting with FROM
    SELECT * FROM SYS.OBJ = I do not get Prompted with anything !!

I could be wrong but I thought it used to be more comprehensive than that.

In addition to that it does not list any table names for the current table, nor does it replace * with the list of columns after placing the cursor after the * and pressing TAB.  Those I'm pretty sure that it used to do.
    UPDATE - I'm so sorry - I should have tested better before posting.
    I just tested with my standard user account and everything that I previously posted about works correctly for that login.  What I described in my last post is obviously a minor problem on my end.
  • SOLUTION FOUND!!!!    At least for me...according to Red Gate Support.

I worked with Support by sending in the logs.  Support told me the update to v10.12.5.30313 has run into an issue with the new format of SqlHistory.db and to follow these steps:

1.  Browse to %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10\ 
    2.  Delete the file "SqlHistory.db"
    3.  Relaunch SSMS

I did not lose my Tab History (since it is stored in another file) and when I opened a new session of SSMS, SQL Prompt created a new SqlHistory.db file.

It has been working great in the new version ever since!
  • EmilVEmilV Posts: 6 Bronze 1
    @brian_shepard this worked for me as well, amazing! thanks for sharing.
  • @brian_shepard afraid the removal and recreation of the SqlHistory.db file didn't do anything for me. Still takes > 10 seconds to show anything.

Good try though!
    Same as @jsreynolds1
    no change
  • ahicksahicks Posts: 2 New member
    SOLUTION FOUND!!!!    At least for me...according to Red Gate Support.

I worked with Support by sending in the logs.  Support told me the update to v10.12.5.30313 has run into an issue with the new format of SqlHistory.db and to follow these steps:

1.  Browse to %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 10\ 
    2.  Delete the file "SqlHistory.db"
    3.  Relaunch SSMS

I did not lose my Tab History (since it is stored in another file) and when I opened a new session of SSMS, SQL Prompt created a new SqlHistory.db file.

It has been working great in the new version ever since!
    I'm experiencing the same issues reported throughout this thread, but am currently unable to revert to the earlier version due to permissions.

With that being said, I am able to interact with the localdata directory, but when I attempt this solution, there's no SqlHistory.db file present although there is a SavedTabs.db file present. I backed up and deleted the SavedTabs.db file then restarted SSMS but it doesn't change the reported behavior.
  • I don't know if it's related, but the act of removing the SqlHistory.db and letting it rebuild had eventual very unexpected consequences. 
    Suddenly "Analysis" was turned on, never had been before. My prompting carefully curated settings are the same, but the behavior of formatting is really messed up.
    Nothing different today except having removed that file and let it get rebuilt.
    Mmm yeah,
    by this time the Vendor should have a fix
  • Hello, any update you might be able to provide by chance?