Flyway Deskop Removes DefaultCollation in RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml

Hi!

We are using Flyway Desktop to sync a development database with a local git repository. Whenever we apply changes (e.g. adding a new stored procedure to the schema-model directory) Flyway also removes the line "<DefaultCollation>Latin1_General_CI_AI</DefaultCollation>" which we added manually to schema-model/RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml. Is this behavior intentional or will this be fixed in an upcoming version?

Thank you for your help!
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Peter_LawsPeter_Laws Posts: 205 Silver 2
    Oh interesting!

Noted, thanks, I've mentally shifted gears; in which case by default Flyway Desktop ignores collations differences (as defined here) please could you check your SQL Change automation project for the corresponding 'SyncOptionIgnoreCollations' project definition?

If the input is consistently the correct collation the easiest remediation for the moment may simply be to ignore.
    Kind regards
    Peter Laws | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• Hello fwin,

While it is intentional (a consequence of the underlying comparison engine) it is something we are looking to change as it can be confusing or misleading. Such as in the scenario where multiple developers are committing with very slightly different versions of db.

I'll add your experience to the existing task for this.

May I ask why you needed to add it manually? I'd expect it to be dynamically populated from source.
    Kind regards
    Peter Laws | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • fwinfwin Posts: 5 New member
    Hi!

Thank you for your answer. We are currently only using Flyway Desktop as a replacement for SQL Source Control, which means that we are still relying on a state-based model. In our scenario the SqlChangeAutomation Powershell module still needs the collation configuration to properly work.
  • fwinfwin Posts: 5 New member
    We are using the Change Automation PowerShell module, so we don't have have a project definition since we are just using the schema-model which was created by Flyway Desktop.

I should ensure that the comparison options of the `Invoke-DatabaseBuild` function matches my Flyway Desktop json comparison options.

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file