How to make Oracle Schema Compare run faster?

We have been a long subscriber to Redgate products and are trying out Oracle Schema Compare for the first time.  We have pointed it to one of the schemas and it is stuck on 1% and has been for hours.  Our Schema Compare for SQL Server is fast and there are a large number of objects.  I'm wondering if this is to be expected or if there could be a problem, therefore, I don't want to stop it prematurely.

Thank you.
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @pwilliams

Did the comparison eventually move past 1% or complete entirely? Or is it still stuck at 1%?

Comparing schemas in Oracle can be slow at times. Unfortunately, there's also no options or switches you can you can configure that will speed up the process. 

I recommend increasing the minimum logging level to verbose and repeat the running of the project. The log files should be able to assist with any further investigation that is required. It will at least tell us what exactly the comparison is getting stuck on.

To increase the logging level using the GUI, please follow the steps in this help document, which also has instructions on how to obtain the log files. 

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center

• pwilliamspwilliams Posts: 2 New member
    Thank you, Kurt. 

After running overnight, the process eventually made it to 4%.  We killed the process.  The next time trying, Schema Compare crashed and then we did an uninstall and reinstall of the software.  We were able to choose one small schema and get it to succeed.  In trying all schema, it ran again for over 12 hours and ultimately died because it ran out of memory (16GB).  We have been slowly trying other schemas one at a time as having multiple has been unsuccessful. This process seems to be working, but requires more watching it.

I will look at changing the logging level to see what we can learn from that as well.

Thank you.
  • Yes, I would definitely recommend changing the logging. Should you wish me to look into it, please replicate a comparison of the schemas you've identified as being slow, try and let it get to completion (if it's not possible, that's also fine), then please reply with a copy of the log file. I should be able to see what's holding the process up.

Kind regards,

Kurt McCormick
    Product Support Engineer, Redgate

Need help? Take a look at our Help Center