How to add SCA extension when using the Azure DevOps Service?

I know if you are using the Azure DevOps Server, you can install the RedGate Build and Release extensions on the on-prem build machine to deploy schema changes automatically. What I'm not understanding is if you are using the Azure DevOps Service (basically the cloud version), how do you indicate you want these extensions on the cloud build machine Azure spins up so these RedGate extensions can be used there too? Is it even possible?

Answers

• Hi @JohnnyO

Not quite sure what you're asking here, are you referring to Azure DevOps here? https://dev.azure.com/

If you need further information on using the SQL Change Automation extensions please see the doc here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/sca/deploying-database-changes/add-ons/azure-devops

Kind regards

Dan Calver | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• We are using RedGate Build and release extensions with Azure DevOps Service.
    I don't know if it makes a difference, but our build agents are hosted on premise, we don't use ADO Service build agents in the cloud.

Hope this helps,

Éric
  • JohnnyOJohnnyO Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    @DanC - yes, I am referring to Azure DevOps here (https://dev.azure.com/) - Service (cloud) specifically, not Server (an on-prem server). 

@EricLamontagne is pointing out the crux of my question. His build agents are hosted on premise. I'm trying to use a Azure hosted agent in the cloud. I'm just trying to understand...is it enough to include the RedGate build and release extensions in my Azure DevOps project and they are used by the Azure hosted agent, i.e., nothing "special" needs to be done beyond that for SCA to work on an Azure hosted build agent?  
    @DanC - yes, I am referring to Azure DevOps here (https://dev.azure.com/) - Service (cloud) specifically, not Server (an on-prem server). 

@EricLamontagne is pointing out the crux of my question. His build agents are hosted on premise. I'm trying to use a Azure hosted agent in the cloud. I'm just trying to understand...is it enough to include the RedGate build and release extensions in my Azure DevOps project and they are used by the Azure hosted agent, i.e., nothing "special" needs to be done beyond that for SCA to work on an Azure hosted build agent?  
  • Hi @JohnnyO

As a rule of thumb, I would advise matching the build and environment types as a path of least resistance.

Essentially, cloud - cloud or on-prem - on-prem 

what I mean by this is, if your target databases are hosted locally (on-prem) the easiest method would be to have local Windows hosted agents, this way you can directly give permissions to that user to access the database

Similarly with Azure hosted, you can configure other Azure resources such as Azure hosted agents to access those resources directly.

Whilst you can certainly mix these together, is it a bit tricky, as you would need to configure firewalls, ports etc in order for the resources to interact

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

It's been a while, but I'm following up because we still have the same need. Here's the scenario on why we need the "cloud - on-prem" scenario. We have existing projects in Azure DevOps Server (on-premise). We want to migrate to Azure DevOps Services (cloud) and once done, minimize the change to any of the projects, which currently use SCA. The one change we do want to make after migration, is switch to using the Azure DevOps Hosted agent (cloud) and not our self-hosted (on-premise) while still building/deploying to on-premise databases so we no longer need to maintain our on-premise build server(s). I know the last Redgate response is that it is tricky, but I'd like to work through it and understand what it takes and the feasibility of it. I think it is a "line of sight" issue with the Hosted agent (cloud) not being able to "see" the on-premise dbs, but I'm fine with me having to configure firewalls/ports/etc. to get this to work. Is it possible to explain my options or the best way to do this?
  • Hi @JohnnyO

You're correct in that it is indeed a "line of sight" issue, and you would need to configure the connection to reach the servers

We are unfortunately, unable to provide details or assistance in configuring this

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?