Options

database disk image is malformedConsider reducing your history

CSRCSR Posts: 2 New member

Hi,

We are using Red-Gate SQL backup tool, when we connect to the SQL Server we are getting error

"database disk image is malformedConsider reducing your history"

and after digging through the logfiles, I found the query

master..sqbdata 'select * from backupfiles WHERE backup_id > 6450' 
which is causing the error,
when I execute the sqbdata 'select * from backupfiles' there are records with backup_id with 0 values, I think I have to remove the records, but how do I remove them

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

CSR
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hi @CSR

Sorry to hear about your error in SQL Backup

This error is typically caused by a corruption of the activity cache, which stores backup and restore history.

To fix this problem, close SQL Backup and delete the activity cache files from the machine.

By default these are stored in:

• %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Server Data (Windows 2003 and Windows XP), or 
    • %LOCALAPPDATA%\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Server Data (Windows 2008, Windows 2008 R2, and Windows 7 and above)

When you next open the SQL Backup GUI, the activity cache is populated from the msdb database and the SQL Server Compact database for each SQL Server that you have added to the GUI. This may take some time.

Can you try this first and advise if you are still receiving the error message when starting SQL Backup

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    CSRCSR Posts: 2 New member

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the response, I cleared the cache from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Server Data as recommended by the Redgate documentation but the issue was not resolved.

I re installed the Server Component and cleared the backup history from msdb, which resolved the issue.

Thank you,

CSR

• Options

Hi @CSR,

Unfortunate that our recommendation didn't solve it, but very great that you did find a resolution.

I'll submit your comments to our documentation team incase they need to update any guides.

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software