Options

Is the boolean search capability not implemented?

paumonokpaumonok Posts: 2 New member
A post in the Redgate suggestion list indicated it was implemented/deployed in V2 of SQ Search.  I am using 3.5 and this feature does not appear to be implemented.  There is no reference to it in the help documentation.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options

Hi @paumonok

Thank you for reaching out on the Redgate forums regarding the SQL Search question.

I can see that the Boolean search capabilities were added back in version 2 of the program. 

Then in version 3.1 the functionality was removed/modified to use UNIX-style wildcards instead.

I've located the following notes on the usage of these wildcards which may be of use for you.

SQL Search is compatible with UNIX style wildcards. You can use the following wildcards in a search:

Asterisk (*) wildcard
    You can use * as a wildcard to match 0 or more characters, similar to a SQL LIKE clause.
    For example, search for 'b*' to find all objects containing words beginning with b.

Question mark (?) wildcard
    The ? wildcard to matches exactly one character.
    For example, search for 'b?' to find all objects containing words of two characters beginning with b.

List ([]) wildcard
    This [] wildcard matches one character from a list of characters.
    For example, search for '[xyz] ' to find all objects containing any single x, y, or z character.
    This wildcard also allows a range of characters. For example, search for '[a-z]' to match any single character from a to z.

Caret (^) wildcard
    You can use ^ as a wildcard at the beginning of a list to match any character except any character in the list.
    For example, search for '[^0-9]' to match any single character except a numeric character.

Escaping wildcards"
    If you want to search for a wildcard as a literal character, you can escape the wildcard character by wrapping it in square brackets.
    For example, searching for '[*]' will search for anything containing an asterisk

Apologies that the Boolean operations are not there, but hopefully you are able to find value in these wildcards instead. 

Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    paumonokpaumonok Posts: 2 New member
    Wildcard searches are useful, but would have been more useful with Boolean and/or regex search capabilities.  If ever the redgate team wants to add those features, be assured most people would greatly appreciate it!
  • Options
    Certainly don't disagree there, there can be many different ways to search through objects and the more tools in your disposal the better.

Whilst there is no current roadmap to change the searching parameters
    I would recommend adding any feature requests to our UserVoice site for more visibility with our developers:
    https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/101149-sql-search
    Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    dbbishopdbbishop Posts: 16 Bronze 2
    edited June 6, 2022 2:46PM
    I too am upset that Redgate would chose to "upgrade" a product by removing a VERY useful functionality. I don't need it often, but occasionally a Boolean search is required (I might add more so that the need for REGEX. I mean, really, add a new useful feature by removing another useful feature. Great development minds at work! 
    PLEASE, give us back Boolean searches.
  • Options
    BOOLEAN searches are a staple in search functionality.  Please add it back with RegEx.