SQL Compare crashes on machine with Resharper 2.5

khurwitzkhurwitz Posts: 5
edited April 23, 2007 2:37PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I was disappointed to find today that Red Gate SQL compare always crashes on a machine with the latest version of JetBrains Resharper. Unfortunately, SQL Compare and Resharper are my two favorite productivity tools. SQL Compare crashes because the Resharper setup places four DevExpress DLLs in the GAC upon installation. Once these files are removed, Red Gate works great and it's Resharper's turn to crash and burn. I've submitted a request to Resharper as well, but any workarounds you could suggest would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'm not your only customer that uses Resharper.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Thanks for asking us about this. The issue is caused by the DevExpress components for .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 using the same version numbers and public key signatures. Because the .NET Framework assembly binding loads assemblies from the GAC first, the version of XtraGrid that gets loaded is the one from the GAC rather then the proper one.

We are working closely with the component vendor for a solution to this problem.
  • One workaround to this is to have .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 installed at which point this should work - the other option is to copy the dll's out of GAC and put them in Resharpers start up directory so that the .NET framework can find them when loading resharper and it also finds the right one for us.

As Brian said we are working with the vendor to resolve this issue.

- James
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Thank you both for responding. I got the following detailed reply from a developer at JetBrains that I thought I'd pass along. I hope it helps others facing the same problem I did:

1. Uninstall the following three assemblies from the GAC
    - DevExpress.Data.v6.3
    - DevExpress.Utils.v6.3
    - DevExpress.XtraEditors.v6.3

2. Copy these three assemblies (above) from
    - program files\red gate\SQL Bundle 5 to program files\microsoft visual studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies or other location denoted in (\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.config)

3. Let magical SQL Compare \ Resharper coexistance ensue