Support for Azure SQL Database

DLMDLM Posts: 2 New member
I have loved SQL Prompt for such a long time but now my relationship with this product will have to end as it doesn't support Azure SQL Database. It *accidentally* worked with SSMS 17 and before but has completely stopped working with SSMS 18 onwards. Please Please Please can you start supporting it again??
Tagged:

Answers

• Thanks for getting in touch, we always appreciate feedback.

Based on demand from customers we'll be increasing the priority of our work to support Azure DB, looking at it during the remainder of 2019. We'll keep you updated with our plans as this develops.

In the meantime, do reach out if I can do anything else to help.

Tim
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Hi @DLM

Can you let me know what authentication method you're using to connect to your Azure SQL DB in SSMS 18?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Software Engineer for SQL Prompt
    Redgate Software
  • DLMDLM Posts: 2 New member
    Hi @TomW

Since this post I have found out that all the suggestions work when using a SQL User but they do not work when using AzureAD user (with MFA). I assume you know this already.

Thanks
    D

• Hi @DLM

Thanks for confirming. Yes, we're very aware of the issues using MFA in SSMS 18 and we're currently working to resolve them.

Tom
    Software Engineer for SQL Prompt
    Redgate Software
  • ducmanducman Posts: 26 Bronze 2
    Any update on this?
  • Hi @ducman

The current version of SQL Prompt supports Azure SQL Database with Multifactor Authentication. 

For more information on database compatibility, see here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/sp10/getting-started/requirements

Thanks,

Owen
    Software Engineer
    SQL Prompt / SQL Search
    I have the latest version 10.12.1.28146 and it does not suggest any tables in my Azure SQL DB with MFA.
  • spdspd Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    I am experiencing the same issue,Windows 11, SSMS 19 Preview 2 running SQL Prompt 10.12.1.28146 using MFA. The log shows the following when trying to authenticate:

2022-06-28 08:56:13.669 +01:00 [Warning] Failed to load server {Removed}
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user '<token-identified principal>'. The server is not currently configured to accept this token.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, DbConnectionPool pool, String accessToken, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling, SqlAuthenticationProviderManager sqlAuthProviderManager)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.Cache.Candidates.ServerCandidate.IsContainedOrRestrictedDatabase(ConnectionProperties cp)
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.Cache.Candidates.ServerCandidate.LoadDatabaseContainment()
       at RedGate.SqlPrompt.Cache.Candidates.ServerCandidate.LoadServer()
    ClientConnectionId:{Removed}
    Error Number:18456,State:235,Class:14
    My logs show "loading skipped" for that instance.