SQL Search Greyed Out No controls usanble

rldawgrldawg Posts: 35 Bronze 3
edited April 23, 2022 6:23PM in SQL Search
For some reason SQL Search is completely disabled.  Tried restarting SSMS,  Uninstalled Search and reinstalled,.  Opened a SQL Query before opening Search.  Highlighted a DB before opening Search,  No luck.

SSMS v 18,11,1

Something tells me that the API in SSMS changed.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• JR561JR561 Posts: 1 Bronze 1
    Hi @rldawg

Please can you try disconnecting SQL server from SSMS Object explore, close then open SQL Search, and then reconnect SQL Server? 
    This worked for me. It was the explicit:
    1. Disconnect from all open database connections
    2. Closed SQL Search (I closed all other Redgate tabs I had pinned too)
    3. Opened SQL Search
    4. Connected to the database

Answers

• Hi @rldawg

Please can you try disconnecting SQL server from SSMS Object explore, close then open SQL Search, and then reconnect SQL Server? 
    Kind regards

Victoria Wiseman | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • rldawgrldawg Posts: 35 Bronze 3
    JR561 said:
    Hi @rldawg

3. Opened SQL Search
    Yeah it seemed that the open tabs caused some kind of issue because SSMS kept beeping at me when I closed it down with the tabs still open (I leave them open knowing SQL prompt will persist them).  Normally that's not an issue.  But closing them all explicitly, then closing SSMS and re-opening it worked.
  • rldawgrldawg Posts: 35 Bronze 3
    Actually I think one of the problems is that when I have open tabs and go to close SSMS, I get this error.  I have not transactions in progress.

TITLE: Querying transaction count
    ------------------------------

Unable to query transaction count

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A transport-level error has occurred when sending the request to the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10054)

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

BUTTONS:

OK

• DorisDoris Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    It's really a pain. The SQL Search used to work fine. Today I just installed the Toolbelt Essentials. After the installation, then I got the same issue that everything was greyed out. I followed the instructions above to close the connections, close SQL Search, open SQL Search and then connect to the DB. It does work. However, when I got out of SSMS and came back next time, then I had the same issue and had to repeat the steps. That would really be a pain because I would have to remember to open SQL Search at launch before connecting. But I don't typically open SQL Search until I have to use it. Will there be a more permanent fix?
  • Thank you all for your postings advising similar concerns with SQL Search.

This will be escalated to our development team so they can investigate further and log a bug report if one doesn't already exist. If I am provided with a bug # I will endeavor to post on this forum post so it can be tracked.

At this point it would not be possible to give a timeframe for resolution but any permanent fix would be included as part of a future release of SQL Search and would recommend checking release notes whenever a new patch is available to you.

https://documentation.red-gate.com/ss/release-notes-and-other-versions

I'll re-share JR561 comment from above as a work around solution:

3. Opened SQL Search
    Jon Kirkwood | Technical Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • BhendricksBhendricks Posts: 1 New member
    Just wanted to note that I had this same issue today. Disconnecting from all databases, then opening the search, and then reconnecting to all databases fixed it for me as well.