Filter a database comparison by schema

EDWEDW Posts: 3 New member
I worked in an environment where the test and production databases have over 15,000 objects each.  Each time I run SQL Compare, I need to wait 10-15 minutes for the initial comparison to complete (SQL data compare takes ages).  I am only interested in comparing a single schema in the databases with about 50 objects.  Is there a way to apply a schema filter on startup/refresh, to save time?

Best Answer

• EDWEDW Posts: 3 New member
    Thanks Ben,

But the filters don't apply when initially loading data.  I did reach out to Red Gate support and they provided the following workaround:

Thank you for your query regarding SQL Compare, I'm afraid the application doesn't have any pre-comparison filtering.

However one approach you could take that would address both the speed and also selection criteria is to create a SQL user with the permission access that only matches your needs for the comparison, thus all the other elements will be ignored as they cannot be seen. 

If you are only comparing rather than deploying, the permissions can be cut down further.
    Please also consider https://documentation.red-gate.com/sc/getting-started/requirements/permissions-required-to-use-sql-compare

Answers