Selective Schema Caching

MikeONeillMikeONeill Posts: 131
edited April 18, 2007 10:11AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Unless I am missing something ...

I would like to see selective caching , to explain...

I deal with servers that have lots of db's and I have an interest in maybe one or two. As you register the server SQLPrompt goes away and load schemas for all the databases which slows things down some !!

In most cases the schemas of established db do not change much , if at all, so switching off auto cache refresh is feasible

This leaves you with your developement db's where things are changing often if not constantly, these you would have to specfically refresh manually , which defeats the objects a bit

Is there a middle path to allow the selection of specific databases to autorefresh and to leave unselected schemas as they are

Maybe a ticked list box ??

Just a thought , it also fits in with some of the commentary around "freezing" and response time of MSSMS, if you don't load the schema , there would be a limited affect on load uo

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Mike,

Thanks, we can look into this as an option. I have personally noticed that the more cached schema you acquire on your hard disk, the longer it takes to start up Management Studio. It gets worse if you have many database that you need to manage.