SSMS now crashes regularly after latest SQL Prompt update

Just installed SQL Prompt 10.11.8.27379 for SSMS 18.11.1 and SSMS now crashes regularly.  Also running Redgate SQL Search 3.5.5.2703

Is there any kind of log file I can view to see why it's crashing?

Best Answer

Answers

• janna_kellyjanna_kelly Posts: 1 New member
    I'm experiencing the same. SSMS stays running for about 5 min before crashing and restarting itself. I'm not running any other Redgate products.
  • jsun26jsun26 Posts: 1 New member
    edited March 30, 2022 12:59PM
    FWIW, I'm experiencing the same behavior with SSMS crashing after installing version 10.11.8.27379 a few minutes ago.

I see a pair of events in my Application log (via Event Viewer) that appear be related to SSMS crashing.
  • DougalDougal Posts: 1 New member
    Same here. Seems to be at almost exactly 3 minute intervals. From event log:

Application: Ssms.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
       at System.SpanHelpers+PerTypeValues`1[[System.Char, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].MeasureArrayAdjustment()
       at System.SpanHelpers+PerTypeValues`1[[System.Char, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]..cctor()

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
       at System.SpanHelpers.IsReferenceOrContainsReferences[[System.Char, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]()
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.LogValuesFormatter..ctor(System.String)
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.LoggerMessage.CreateLogValuesFormatter(System.String, Int32)
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.LoggerMessage.Define[[System.Int32, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.LogLevel, Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.EventId, System.String, Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.LogDefineOptions)
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.LoggerMessage.Define[[System.Int32, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.LogLevel, Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.EventId, System.String)
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Http.DefaultHttpClientFactory+Log..cctor()

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Http.DefaultHttpClientFactory+Log.HandlerExpired(Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.ILogger, System.String, System.TimeSpan)
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Http.DefaultHttpClientFactory.ExpiryTimer_Tick(System.Object)
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Http.ActiveHandlerTrackingEntry.Timer_Tick()
       at Microsoft.Extensions.Http.ActiveHandlerTrackingEntry+<>c.<.cctor>b__22_0(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.CallCallback()
       at System.Threading.TimerQueueTimer.Fire()
       at System.Threading.TimerQueue.FireNextTimers()
       at System.Threading.TimerQueue.AppDomainTimerCallback(Int32)

• gigglestick90gigglestick90 Posts: 3 New member
    Also happening here on my end. Updated this morning to the latest SQL Prompt and is now crashing constantly.
  • GrimfellowGrimfellow Posts: 4 New member
    Same here as well, updated this morning
    Is there a way to revert to a previous version?
  • HigginsHiggins Posts: 11 Bronze 2
    I too am experiencing SSMS restarting itself after upgrading to 10.11.8. SSMS isn't open long enough for me to even load a SQL script file before it dies and then re-opens itself. I too would like a download link for 10.11.7 or earlier, at least that was stable.
  • AlainGuiAlainGui Posts: 1 New member
    Same situation here after updating to version 10.11.8.27379, is there a way to revert to a previous version without uninstalling the current version and installing an older version ?
  • Hi, 

We're looking into this, here's a link to the previous version if you'd like to downgrade: 

https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.11.7.27287.exe

Thanks,

Owen
    Software Engineer
    SQL Prompt / SQL Search
    @ostandage I was able to have SSMS up long enough to enable enhanced logging on SQL Prompt and have a zip of log files from today if you would find them useful. Let me know where I can upload them if you'd like them.
  • NTXRedcardNTXRedcard Posts: 1 New member
    Same thing here
    I submitted a Red-Gate support request and attached my log files to it.
  • DougRigaDougRiga Posts: 1 New member
    More of the same here.  Thank you so much for providing the link to the last version.
    edited March 30, 2022 4:53PM
    Thank you! It looks like this update solved the issue!
  • pczarn2pczarn2 Posts: 3 New member
    I started getting the same errors last week after I upgraded to version 10.12.6. Clicking Tab History crashes SQL Prompt. I uninstalled and reverted back to 10.11.9 and it works now! Shipping 10.12.6 for now. 
  • Hi all

Thank you for your patience while we worked on this issue.

The development team has released a fix which you can download here: https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.13.0.31319.exe
    Kind regards

Victoria Wiseman | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?