Massive Intellisense Drop-Down with SQL Prompt

At some point in past few versions of SQL Prompt, the Intellisense drop-down menu has become massively wide, spanning multiple monitors. The menu starts at the left edge of whatever window SQL Server Management Studio happens to be on, and continues across all monitors until it reaches the right-most edge of the right-most monitor. It appears that the width of the drop-down is ALWAYS the entire total width of all my monitors together, such that if I have SSMS on the leftmost monitor, I can see the scrollbar for the drop-down on the right-most monitor, but if the SSMS is on any other monitor, then the drop-down's rightmost edge extends off the visible portion of the monitors and is not visible.

If I turn off the SQL Prompt "Enable Suggestions" option, then the native Intellisense of SSMS seems to work just fine, putting up the (normal sized) short list of suggested items. Turn on SQL Prompt "Enable Suggestions" again, and boom! it goes right back to massively over-wide mode.

Any suggestions or ideas on this one?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    You can change the size of this by editing the 

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 9\RedGate_SQLPrompt_CommonUI_Options_UIOptions.xml file.

Take a look at the CandidateListWidth and CandidateListHeight​.

Have you visited our Help Centre?

Answers

• GibsonCRGGibsonCRG Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    Worked like a charm! Thank you very much!
  • cmedcoffcmedcoff Posts: 3 New member
    edited April 15, 2022 1:20PM
    This didn't work for me.  In fact after trying I took a backup and delete the file and it's still massive. Redgate help!
  • BrennanRPopeBrennanRPope Posts: 1 New member
    edited June 20, 2022 6:22PM
    Running into this problem as well in SSMS. I shouldn't have to go to my app data folder to fix this. I found that there is a handle at the bottom right corner of the suggestions drop down that is your only way to modify these fields in the UI, but if for some reason, the handle goes off the screen because it gets too large, there is no way to resize. What should happen is that when there is a change in the display settings, or if there is a minimize/restore down of the window, then the property is reset to a reasonable amount with respect to the monitor displaying SSMS
  • navi8236navi8236 Posts: 1 Bronze 1
    Worked Great for me.

• Initially it didn't work. I was upgraded to SQL prompt 10. So make sure you are updating in the right file for the version in use. 
    • Did the update saved it. Important part is I had to restart both Visual Studio and SSMS to get it working since the file was cached in them.
  • DStephensDStephens Posts: 1 New member
    edited September 2, 2022 2:36PM
    Adjusting RedGate_SQLPrompt_CommonUI_Options_UIOptions.xml worked for me when I am using SSMS. However, when I am using VS 2019, it seems to ignore the settings in the file while expanding the size of the window and overwriting the values in that file. It is painful to use. After more "testing", I have identified that there is something about the scaling that is causing the issue. I'm working from a 15 inch laptop with two 32 inch monitors. If I leave the VS 2019 in the laptop screen, the candidate list size remains the same as the settings in the file. However, if I move the application to one of the 32 in monitors, the settings are thrown out and the size continually grows. At least that is the behavior pattern that I am seeing.
  • JohnSeJohnSe Posts: 1 New member
    When is RedGate going to fix this annoying problem? @Russell D has a solution that works (thanks Russell) but, running this fix 2-3 times a week is painful and the problem seems to have been around since 2018.
    Fix WAY Overdue