you do not have permission to examine the performance count

lance11lance11 Posts: 9
edited April 19, 2007 4:17PM in ANTS Load
Hi,
I get the following error when trying to run Ants Load. It comes up when using the 'new project wizard' at the 'examine performance counters on the following computer'. It doesn't matter if I enter . or localhost or the netbios name of the computer or it's IP address. - I'm just trying to get performance data from the local PC.

"The computer doesn't appear to exist, or you do not have permission to examine the performance counters on this computer. This means that performance counter data will not be collected. Do you want to continue anyway?"

If I try to run the load test anyway, I it starts and then gives this error:

=====
System.InvalidOperationException: Couldn't get process information from remote machine. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.AllocHGlobal(IntPtr cb)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceMonitor.GetData(String item)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.GetPerformanceData(String item)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_CategoryTable()
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.GetPerformanceData(String[] categories, Int32[] categoryIndexes)
at System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetProcessInfos(PerformanceCounterLib library)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetProcessInfos(PerformanceCounterLib library)
at System.Diagnostics.NtProcessManager.GetProcessInfos(String machineName, Boolean isRemoteMachine)
at System.Diagnostics.ProcessManager.GetProcessInfos(String machineName)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.EnsureState(State state)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.get_WorkingSet()
at RedGate.Ants.Controllers.Host.Initialize(Int32 handle, Host host, Scenario scenario, Mediator parent, ErrorRaisedEventHandler errorHandler)

=====

I know it says out of memory, but less than 1GB of RAM is being used, and the machine has 4GB.

I can run permon, and see that the counters in question are there and working, and even temporarily set up the ANTS service to run as administrator, but to no avail.

I could really use some help here.

Ants Load 1.75.0 Build 4
Windows Server 2003 R2

Lance

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Lance,

It sounds like there is some kind of buffer issue going on when .NET is reading the performance counter information. Can you tell us which performance counters these are?

Making any changed to the ANTS Service won't help -- it's only there to do distributed load tests.
  • Hi Brian,
    When I try and record a new script and get to the 'examine performance counters' step, it doesn't show me the counters, just that it can't find the computer - either . or localhost or the IP address.

If I ignore the message and continue, and then try to run the test the normal counters are used:
    %processor
    mem pages per sec
    webservice/ currenct connetctions/_total
    webservice/method requests/_total
    webservice/Bytes recieved per sec/_total
    webservice/Bytes sent per sec/_total

but on clicking the start button I get the flagrant error I mentioned above.

Lance
    Hi Lance,

Would you mind sending an email to support@red-gate.com from your 'work' address? We'll log a ticket and investigate properly. I suspect this is a one-off issue caused by your environment.

Thanks!
    I think this could be because of one of the methods from the 'inner' stack trace. I've found some cases where the GetProcessInfos fails on Vista due to security restrictions. I can continue digging and see if this also happens on Windows 2003.
    I think this could be the answer: there are some groups you need to be in, but also some registry permissions changed on the web server if you are not an administrator. Please follow these recommendations on the server for which you are trying to collect performance information:
    • Add your Windows account to the server's 'performance monitor users' group
    • Open the Registry Editor by going to the Start Menu and selecting Run…, then type “regedit”, and click the OK button.
    • Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg registry key.
    • Right click on the "winreg" key and select Permissions. Add users or groups to which you want to grant Read access.
    • Exit Registry Editor and restart Windows.