SQL Search not jumping / scrolling down to selected table

One of the nice things with SQL Search is to search for a table, double click the result and have the object explorer scroll down and select the table. 

After deleting a few databases (~10) on my server this doesn't work anymore. Clicking on a result doesn't do anything in the object explorer window.

Tried uninstalling and installing, rebuilding the index in SQL Search -- but it still doesn't work

Is there some kind of main DB index that has to be rebuilt or is there some trick to make this work again?
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi, Thank you for your post.

What happens when you click 'Selected in object explorer'? Does this work?
  • DingbatDingbat Posts: 8 New member
    Unfortunately that does nothing

The explorer pane is highlighted (i.e. the top row with "Object Explorer" goes from blue to yellow), but nothing is expanded or highlighted/scrolled to

I'm on SQL Server Mangement Studio v18.6 by the way
  • When you click 'Selected in object explorer' does anything get highlighted in object explorer when you scroll manually?

How are you connecting to the Databases? 
    No matter what is open in the object explorer -- nothing happens.

E.g. I can expand the tables and go down and select "Table A". I then do a search for "Table B" and double click or use "select in object explorer", but nothing happens except the object explorer being highlighted. The selection will still be "Table A" and no scrolling / movement of the object explorer.

I am connecting with SQL Server Authentication with username and password. This has been unchanged / my method of connecting in all the years I've used SQL Search -- the only change is the forementioned deletion of databases
  • Do you see any errors in the SQL Search log files? They can be found here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Red Gate\Logs\SQLSearch 3

There have been issues in the past with SQL Search not working with certain languages, are you using one other than English? 
    Right, here we might have something, this is in the log after I search for a table and double click it:

---------------

2021-12-15 10:44:38.836 +01:00 [Information]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.UsageReporting.ApplicationUsageHelper]: Usage reporting request made to https://productusage.red-gate.com/v1/usageevents
      Number of submitted usage events = 1
      HTTP status code = 200 OK
      Response body =
    2021-12-15 10:44:40.456 +01:00 [Error]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler]: Failed to get the object hierarchy
    Exception: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.ObjectExplorer.SSMS.SsmsObjectExplorer.RootNode(String connectionString, IErrorHandler errorHandler)
    2021-12-15 10:44:40.655 +01:00 [Error]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler]: Failed to get the object hierarchy
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.ObjectExplorer.SSMS.SsmsObjectExplorer.RootNode(String connectionString, IErrorHandler errorHandler)
    2021-12-15 10:44:43.667 +01:00 [Information]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.UsageReporting.ApplicationUsageHelper]: Sending 1 event:
    [
      {
        "eventType": "objectexplorer.select",
        "headers": {
          "productId": "sql-search",
          "productVersion": "3.5.5.2703",
          "eventUuid": "6976af97-b541-4a22-896e-b8e05be671b9",
          "usageUserId": "f2e45e47-ca9b-447f-bd66-8d9af283ecb2",
          "sessionUuid": "9d841025-86c3-43d1-a1ac-8c8f8e88c116",
          "createdTimeUtc": "2021-12-15T09:44:40Z"
        },
        "payload": {
          "action": "DoubleClick"
        }
      }
    ]
    2021-12-15 10:44:43.748 +01:00 [Information]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.UsageReporting.ApplicationUsageHelper]: Usage reporting request made to https://featureusage.red-gate.com/v1/usageevents
      Response body =

---------------

Is that helpful?

Also: I am running the English version of Enterprise Manager, english username for folders
  • Good Morning,
    Thanks for sending over that log file entry.
    Are you attempting to connect to an Azure database?  Are you using SQL or Windows Authentication?  And if Windows is it cross domain?

Sean Quigley | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Database is running on one of our own servers, MS SQL Server 15.04138.2
    SQL Server Authentication
    No cross domain
  • Thanks for confirming.
    Can you try downgrading to the version below to see if that works better?

Downgraded then tried search. Same result, i.e. nothing happens

Got this log:

2022-01-12 08:20:44.876 +01:00 [Information]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.UsageReporting.ApplicationUsageHelper]: Usage reporting request made to https://featureusage.red-gate.com/v1/usageevents
      Number of submitted usage events = 5
      Response body =
    2022-01-12 08:20:46.941 +01:00 [Information]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.UsageReporting.ApplicationUsageHelper]: Sending 1 event:
    [
      {
        "eventType": "search",
        "headers": {
          "productId": "sql-search",
          "productVersion": "3.5.5.2703",
          "eventUuid": "1d66936f-04ee-4cb9-badc-249abcd7dbb8",
          "usageUserId": "70365320-15a3-44ab-971a-3e697f142674",
          "sessionUuid": "d1cddd6b-cb10-4420-9b4e-9b9ef868af04",
          "createdTimeUtc": "2022-01-12T07:20:43Z"
        },
        "payload": null
      }
    ]
    2022-01-12 08:20:47.020 +01:00 [Information]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.UsageReporting.ApplicationUsageHelper]: Usage reporting request made to https://productusage.red-gate.com/v1/usageevents
      Response body =
    2022-01-12 08:20:48.710 +01:00 [Error]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler]: Failed to get the object hierarchy
    2022-01-12 08:20:49.750 +01:00 [Error]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler]: Failed to get the object hierarchy

• Thanks for the update on your end.
    Can you try deleting the index via the following directory to see if that helps?
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQLSearch 3\Indexes

Hi,

I closed SQL Manager and removed the folder.
    Then I started SQL Manager again, and the folder re-appeared with these files:

Search behaviour was the same, e.g. nothing happens on double click -- so unfortunately the problem persists

The the log says:
    2022-01-20 21:08:20.239 +01:00 [Error]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler]: Failed to get the object hierarchy
  • Thanks for the update.
    Can you try removing SQL Search, follow the steps from the below article, and then try re-installing SQL Search to see if that works better?
    https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2012/02/25/sql-server-a-cool-trick-restoring-the-default-sql-server-management-studio-ssms/

That post only tells you how to restore the layout of SSMS

Nevertheless, I'm up for trying anything at this point.

I uninstalled, did a layout reset, reinstalled (with latest version of SQL Search), then tried a new search.

Got the same error: 2022-01-27 11:51:40.169 +01:00 [Error]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler]: Failed to get the object hierarchy
  • Thanks for the update on your end!
    I'll reach out to you on a support ticket in order to troubleshoot this further.

• Thanks for highlighting this, it's been identified as a bug but unfortunately, on this occasion, the developers are unable to work on a fix for this bug. Apologies for the inconvenience that this brings.