SSH based connection fails

sunshinesunshine Posts: 3
edited March 4, 2014 3:39AM in MySQL Compare
Hi there.

I've got a problem.

I'm using SSH mode to connect to a remote server. SSH itself works, but MySQL Compare is not able to connect to MySQL afterwards.

Error Message:

"Error Connecting to Database
Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061): Server did not respond within the specified timeout interval"

But when I ssh to the server manually, using the same user as MySQL Compare does, and run...

$ mysql --host=127.0.0.1 --port=3306 --user=$USER --password=$PW

... it works.

Question:
Does MySQL Compare rely on any other settings on the server, or is it basically running just a command like the one I've posted above?

(I'm using MySQL Compare 1.0.0.425)

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

MySql Compare can connect using SSH. You can see the settings in the "SSH" tab on the connect window. It can accept either a keyfile or a username/password combination.

The connection is managed using a third-party component from another company so I don't have detailed information about how it works, but if you can provide any further information about the connection failure, I can take it up with them.
  • Hi,

thanks for your reply, but I guess there is a little misunderstanding. :)

I'm already using the SSH functionality of MySQL Compare to login to a remote server and to a database afterwards. No third-party component involved here.

Again, my problem is: MySQL compare succeeds doing the first step (ssh login to the defined server), but then no connection to the local mysql server can be established. But since the login to mysql works if you do it manually (see my last post), my hunch is that MySQL Compare relies on some system configuration instead of "just" sending the respective command. Could you comment on this, please?

Thanks!
    I can't comment. I cannot reproduce the problem and the component that makes the connection is made by a third-party company named "Devart" so I have no idea how the component works because I don't have access to the source for it.
    I put a topic on Devart's forums about this. Maybe they have an answer.
    I did get a reply from Devart:
    If we understood you correctly, you want to connect to the MySQL server, installed on your computer, via the SSH server, that is installed on other computer.

When you specify host=127.0.0.1, after connecting to the SSH server it looks for the MySQL server from its own location, i.e. 127.0.0.1 for the SSH server means the computer, where the SSH server is installed. You need to specify the real IP address of your computer, in order for SSH server to connect to it.

Does that help?
  • ctarlactarla Posts: 1 New member
    Hi Brian,
    so will that be ssh hostname or the hostname itself? because i have the ssh hostname by port 22 which is the DB host i am connecting to then on hostname i put localhost but i get a "can't connect to ssh server does not supprt curve25519-sha256" error  which is some diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256 for keyexchange 
  • I'm having exactly the same issue with the same error, except I also get "Unknown Authentication plugin "caching_sha2_password' tagged on the end, when I try to login.

I am using an RSA key file which works fine if I use MySQL Workbench, or even using C# SSH libraries for some apps I've written, but not through this Redgate tool. I have a trial edition and I'm looking to buy, but if I can't connect using a normal SSH key that works with other MYSQL client tools, I cant buy this product?