Options

Issue With User Mapping

psutradharpsutradhar Posts: 3
edited April 5, 2007 4:27AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I started using it and facing one problem, my situation is like that:

Source DB user = dbo
Destination DB user = ebizwiz11

My all objects in source DB are created by dbo and there is no user likeebiziwz11 in source DB. So that for exp my all objects in source db are like dbo.myobjName

My all objects in Destination DB are created using ebizwiz11 user, as well as there is by default dbo user present.

In this situation I compared source and destination DB.

When I have done user mapping I am not able to map user ebizwiz11 as it not there is source DB so that in comparison result, I will only get objectswhich are created by dbo only.

Is this a problem because I don't have user like ebiziwz11 in my source DB so that I can not map it as I required.

I want to map objects in dbo.source and ebizwiz11.destination that's not happening.

It is happening in APEX even if I don't have physical presence of destination user in source DB.

Waiting for your earliest reply as I stucked here.

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,

Unfortunately SQL Compare mappings require both the users you are mapping between to exist in both the database, otherwise the side effects you describe occur.

The only work around is to create ebizwiz11 in your source database.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but this is a limitation of the product.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    HI, i mapped source dbo with destination ebizwiz11 user and compared the objects.

It showing difference in all object because source contain dbo.objectName
    and destination contain ebizwiz11.objectName

IN this situation i will never get any object equal.

Is it possible to to exclude the mapped username in comparision script so that it will will compare script properly.

Regards

pankaj
  • Options
    Hi there
    psutradhar wrote:
    It showing difference in all object because source contain dbo.objectName
    and destination contain ebizwiz11.objectName

IN this situation i will never get any object equal.

I imagine you are refering to stored procedures, functions and other objects which have their definations stored in sys.comments. Unfortunately, whilst SQL Compare can map two objects to each other, it will not rewrite the internals of those objects so that they reference other obhects.
    psutradhar wrote:
    Is it possible to to exclude the mapped username in comparision script so that it will will compare script properly.

Sorry, but at carrying out what is essestially refactoring of an object is not within SQL Compare at the moment.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful, we are aware that the mappings functionality requires a few tweaks to make it more helpful to users. This will be addressed in a future version of SQL Compare.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd