Options

Azure Active Directory Authentication

I tried to launch dependency tracker against a SQL Managed Instance hosted in Azure today, and found that only two authentication types are available - Windows Authentication and SQL Authentication.

My organization is connecting using Azure Active Directory (Password, Integrated, and MFA depending on the user).  Is that authentication type supported?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    jgonneringjgonnering Posts: 36 Bronze 4
    edited May 11, 2021 5:10PM
    documentation states it supports Azure SQL database, but it only allows Windows auth to connect to the database and we use AAD with MFA to connect.  If you are in SSMS and right click on the Azure SQL database and click "View Dependency diagram for [database name]..." I get the error "SQL Dependency Tracker couldn't navigate to the object you've selected in SQL Server Management Studio".  Does it really support Azure SQL DB?
  • Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi both, 

I'm afraid that SQL Dependency Tracker currently only supports SQL Authentication for Azure SQL databases. Very sorry for the inconvenience.

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    a.higginsa.higgins Posts: 90 Bronze 2
    I appreciate the confirmation, Jessica.  Is there a place we can go to request this feature, or a roadmap we can look at to help us predict when this feature might be available?  Most other Redgate products have this connection so my hope is that this will arrive at some point! 
  • Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi @a.higgins!

We have an existing feature request for this in our internal tracking system, logged with reference DT-695. I've gone ahead and added +2 on this. We have a roadmap available here https://www.red-gate.com/products/roadmap but I'm afraid there aren't any plans to add this in the near future. :/ 

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?