INSTALL ERROR: "SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) is Required" -- It is installed.

ballandaballanda Posts: 8 Bronze 2
edited November 13, 2019 3:38PM in SQL Prompt
I am currently frustrated after uninstalling and reinstalling SSDT multiple times, including every combination of SSDT 2019 and 2017. I also have SSMS 18.4 installed.

Still, every time I try to update / install  SQL prompt, I get the error, "These tools can't be installed at the moment: SQL Prompt 10.0 - Error: SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) is required."

Best Answer

• ballandaballanda Posts: 8 Bronze 2
    edited November 13, 2019 3:46PM Answer ✓
    Steps to work around error:
    1. Uninstall SSMS 18.4 and all SSDT components. Scour registry manually for leftover keys.
    2. Installed SSMS 17.9.1
    3. Installed SQLPrompt SUCCESSFULLY!
    4. Installed SSMS 18.4
    5. Uninstall/reinstall SQLPrompt SUCCESSFULLY in both SSMS 17.9 and 18.4!
    Now I am too scared to uninstall SSMS 17.9.1 because that program uselessly residing on my PC is apparently the only reason I could install SQLPrompt 10.0 after wasting half a day of my life trying. I don't want to take a chance that this issue will recur down the road when I update to 10.1.

I'd be really interested to see if anybody else had this issue. I contacted RedGate directly about it, but I didn't get a helpful response. I'd still love to know exactly what the SQL Prompt installer is looking for EXACTLY to determine whether SSDT is installed.

Answers

• LucianLucian Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    I have the same problem and I don't want to install older version of SSMS.
    It complains about SSDT tools not being installed.
    I have Visual Studio 2019 installed and that also includes SSDT.

Official documentation here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/sp/getting-started/requirements
    does not even mention a dependency on SSDT.
    please help? 
  • arrigobarrigob Posts: 1 Bronze 1
    I ran into this issue today. After spending an hour or two, I found what is required. If you go to add and remove programs, click on Visual Studio and select uninstall. Then you will have the option to modify the install. Once you do that, it brings up the visual studio screen asking what programming packages you want to install. But there is another tab that reads, "Individual Components". Select that tab and look for SQL Server Data Tools. Check it and it will check a couple of other boxes. Install them and you should now be able to install SQL Prompt. 
  • steevi2307steevi2307 Posts: 1 New member
    edited April 26, 2021 7:16AM
    Same for me, the error appears suddenly, but SQL Prompt is not installed into our VS 2015 and this component (SSDT) is not usefull for us ...

And installer works in version 10.6.2.18034 but not above ...
  • ClydeUdunnaClydeUdunna Posts: 1 New member
    arrigob said:
    I ran into this issue today. After spending an hour or two, I found what is required. If you go to add and remove programs, click on Visual Studio and select uninstall. Then you will have the option to modify the install. Once you do that, it brings up the visual studio screen asking what programming packages you want to install. But there is another tab that reads, "Individual Components". Select that tab and look for SQL Server Data Tools. Check it and it will check a couple of other boxes. Install them and you should now be able to install SQL Prompt. 
    This fixed my problem. Fantastic!