in Microsoft Azure - how to we install "SQL Backup Pro's server components"

justindohjustindoh Posts: 9 New member
I am new to Microsoft Azure, and our company is trying to convert SQB file to SQL Server format.
I found this Stackoverflow article about a solution by installing "SQL Backup Pro's server components".
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/861334/how-to-restore-database-using-sqb-files-in-sql-server

How do I go about installing "SQL Backup Pro's server components" in Azure.
Can regular Azure SQL would work or does it have to be either VM or Managed Instance?

Thanks.
Justin

Best Answers

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Justindoh,
    Thank you for your forum post.

My answer to you depends upon the Azure SQL you are planning or are already using.

SQL Backup works with Azure Infrastructure As A Service (IAAS or IaaS).  Microsoft Azure offers a  complete virtual machines.  The client or user, has control over Windows meaning that they can create Windows services and SQL Instances, which means they have access to system databases in particular the master database.  Also install other software applications

The SQL Backup server components installer, will create a total of 9 Extended Stored Procedures in the master database, create the SQL Backup Agent Windows service and install SQL Server Compact Edition.  

So using Azure IaaS, you can install the SQL Backup server components successfully.

Now the bad news.

Azure Platform As A Service(PAAS or PaaS) Microsoft simply offer a database.  The Infrastructure of the SQL Server and Windows is hidden from the client.  This means that the client cannot install the SQL Backup Server Components to the master database of the SQL Instance and therefore Azure PaaS is not supported.

If I have understood this documentation correctly regarding SQL Azure Managed Instances:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-sql/managed-instance/sql-managed-instance-paas-overview

A Managed Instance is an improvement on the Azure PaaS offering and therefore SQL Backup cannot operate on a Managed Instance as you cannot install the SQL Backup Server Components.

SQL Backup has two major components:

SQL Backup GUI

SQL Backup Server Side Components

The SQL Backup, backup file conversion tools are supplied with the SQL Backup GUI.  The SQL Backup GUI is simply a management tool, it does not perform any backup or restore operations.

When first installing SQL Backup from the SQL Toolbelt installer, or the stand-alone installer.  The user installs the SQL Backup GUI only, which will include the backup file conversions tools.  The SQL Backup GUI is not licensed, meaning that it can be installed on as many machines as the user wishes to do so.

Once the GUI is installed, the user can then register their SQL Instances and deploy the server components to the SQL Instance, be it an on-prem server or Azure SQL IaaS server.

It is the server components that performs all the backup and restore operations, controlled by the SQL Backup Agent service which communicates between the GUI and the server side components.  Scheduled Jobs create a SQL Server Agent Job and use the SQL Agent to trigger the call to the SQL Backup Extended Stored Procedures to perform the scheduled backup or restore task.

I hope the above answers your question.
    Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • justindohjustindoh Posts: 9 New member
    Hi Eddie,

Thank you so much for your feedback on this forum and email.
    So, I guess I will stick with VM for now.

Thanks.

Answers

Thank you so much for your comprehensive feedback.
    edited April 22, 2021 6:03PM
    Hi Eddie,

I have further questions.

So, Azure VM (not Azure managed instance) is definitely solution to run Red Gate's SQBConverter.exe.

I am trying to run the command line (to execute SQBConverter.exe) in a running Azure's container instance. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/container-instances/container-instances-exec)
    Is it possible? 
    Do you (Red Gate) support installing and running the command line tool (SQLConverter.exe) to run in Azure container?

Or do I have to run Red Gate's SQBConvertere.exe in VM? 

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Justindoh,
    Thank you for your reply.

I am confident that the SQL Backup, backup file conversion tools have never been tested upon on a Azure Container Instance.   

Providing you can either install SQL Backup GUI or copy the backup conversion files, I provided in the Support Ticket, to your Azure Container, I cannot think of any reason why they would fail.   Just be aware that Redgate has not tested this scenario.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com