Custom Filter

johnsongbjohnsongb Posts: 12
edited January 12, 2009 6:45AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I would like to be able to apply a custom filter when comparing databases. I frequently rename objects that I "think" I can get rid of. For example, tbTableName would be renamed zz_pendingdelete_tbTableName. I will leave an object this way a period of time before I may actually discard it. When running a compare, it would be nice to be able to just exclude these items. I do not want the compare tool to acknowledge them. For example, all items named 'zzpendingdelete%'. I was unable to do this so I assume the feature does not exist.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post.

The feature you are looking for is not available in SQL Compare 5.3 if you are using the Graphical User Interface.

SQL Compare will perform a comparison on all objects contained within the two databases you have selected to compare using the GUI.

When viewing the comparison results, you can then choose not to include the object in the synchronization.

However if you are using the Pro version of SQL Compare or evaluating SQL Compare (where you evaluate the Pro version), you have the option to use the Command Line Interface (CLI).

When using the CLI, you can use the Include and Exclude switches or options to select only the required objects for comparison or exclude objects from the comparison.

Further advice on the the CLI can be found in the Command Line Help available from the Start menu->All Programs->Red Gate SQL Bundle 5.

Eddie Davis
    Technical Support Engineer
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    E-Mail: support@red-gate.com
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • I'm pleased to annouced that this functionality will be available in SQL Compare 8.0. Please could you try out SQL Compare v8.0 (beta) as this now provides the ability to selectively filter objects.

More information can be found at:

http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/vi ... php?t=8303

Please let us know if this meets your expectations.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software