Column-specific Tracking and Additional Export Option

1.)  Is there a way to track dependencies at the column-level?    I would like to be able to specify a table or view column specifically as opposed to the entire table. 

2.)  Is there an export option that basically exports the Dependencies TreeView to an HTML or Excel file?   Such an option would help me greatly when I am generating a checklist for myself when using this tool to perform an impact analysis.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi mscirri

To answer your questions:

Is there a way to track dependencies at the column-level?    I would like to be able to specify a table or view column specifically as opposed to the entire table. 

Sadly no.  SQL Dependency Tracker only tracks dependencies to the object level.  It will show dependencies at a column level.

Is there an export option that basically exports the Dependencies TreeView to an HTML or Excel file?   Such an option would help me greatly when I am generating a checklist for myself when using this tool to perform an impact analysis.

From the File menu ->Export, you can export the diagram to an image file, xml file and a pdf document.  Or the Dependency List as a pdf document.  You cannot export the Dependency Tree view to HTML or Excel.

However, you may wish to take a look at another Redgate product called SQL Doc.  SQL Doc will allow you to create documents of your databases as HTML, PDF and Microsoft Word files.  Further reading available in this product document:
    https://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-doc/
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com

Answers