How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

How does licensing work or Azure Sql Single Databases on same Azure Sql Server

Hi,

I don't seem to be able to get an answer that allows me to confidently forecast the monitoring expenses for my Azure Sql Single Databases so wondering if anyone monitoring Azure Sql Single Databases can weigh in? Ultimately I have more databases on the server than I wish to monitor so does the licensing allow me to buy a single monitoring license to cover monitoring for up to 5 databases (I have 10 on the server)and then select the databases I wish to monitor or do I have to pay for licensing for all databases regardless of whether I monitor them or not?

Information I am getting from sales is unclear, and upon further digging I found a red-gate article that would seem that I can select specific databases to monitor - Add Azure SQL Database - SQL Monitor 11 - Product Documentation (red-gate.com)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Hi, 

Thanks for your post. 

The licensing model for Azure SQL Databases requires one full SQL Monitor license allocation per five Azure SQL databases.

Azure Managed Instances require one full SQL Monitor license per Managed Instance.

It is not possible to select only the databases you wish to monitor. You'll require enough licenses to cover all databases on the server. The same applies to if you are running a Windows cluster, every node participating in the cluster requires a license. This includes passive nodes: these are automatically detected, and it is not possible to monitor only part of a cluster.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards

Robyn Edwards | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?