SQL Prompt doesn't work in visual studio, reinstall doesn't work

HannekeHanneke Posts: 8 New member
SQL prompt stops working in visual studio on a regular basis (every 2 weeks it seems). Usually I close down my tools, deinstall the app, reinstall it, and start visual studio again (follow the instructions on the redgate website). 

However, today this fix didn't work either. SQL prompt does appear in the extension list, but not in the extensions dropdown. 

The fact that reinstalling doesn't work now, and that frequent reinstalls are required is an issue. I was quite up to date on Prompt (only one small version behind). The Visual studio version is this: Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2019
Version 16.7.3. Prompt appears under the installed products in visual studio too - 10.6.3.18228.

I saw no errors during starting visual studio. 

What's the next step to take here? And what makes Prompt stop working so often? 

Answers

• Hi Hanneke

If you delete the contents of the folder " C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\Common7\IDE\Extensions\" before installing does it show up again? 

As for Prompt disappearing, it sounds similar to a known bug but once we have it working again for you we can confirm. 
  • HannekeHanneke Posts: 8 New member
    It seems that the extension returned on its own yesterday. 

I will save your comment though. Since the issue seems to be recurring I can check if this works at a later point and update this thread. 
  • Hi Hanneke

I am glad that it has now returned for you! Could I ask that if it does disappear again could you raise a ticket (by emailing support@red-gate.com)? So that I can confirm if it is indeed the bug I suspect it to be