SQL Search are grayed out

When trying to use SQL Search, the boxes are grayed out
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi @osamaroo

We are aware of a bug relating to this, could you please upgrade to SQL Search 3.5.3. If the problem still persists we have a workaround until we are able to fix this: 

1. Disconnect from the SQL Server in SSMS you want to search
    2. Close and reopen SQL Search
    3. Reconnect the SQL Server

Hopefully these steps will work in the meantime, apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks, 

Owen
    Software Engineer
    SQL Prompt / SQL Search
  • ejsejs Posts: 6 New member
    Yes ostandage, that does work.   Needless to say there have been many reports of this problem over months.   Is there an ETA?  Thanks.
  • MargoMargo Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    I am having the same issue with SQL Search no longer working (all the boxes are greyed out).  I've uninstalled SQL Search and reinstalled, still nothing works.  I would really like to get it working again, so any advise would be appreciated.
  • scollisscollis Posts: 31 Bronze 3
    This is still happening, every time I try to use SQL Search.
  • mdullni1mdullni1 Posts: 26 Bronze 3
    This is now happening to me.  I didn't notice it until recently, maybe the last few weeks.  It has happened only a few times.
  • LJSLJS Posts: 1 New member
    Encountering the same issue on 3.5.5. The above workaround worked for now.
  • sdhsdh Posts: 1 New member
    It's happening to me on 3.5.5.2703.  The workaround above does not work for me.  All boxes continue to be greyed out no matter what I try.
  • scollisscollis Posts: 31 Bronze 3
    I've even raised a support ticket on this and been told there's no ETA for a fix.
  • AleSlugsAleSlugs Posts: 1 New member
    Happening to me too. Following shows up in log

2021-08-17 09:13:27.396 +01:00 [Error]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.Tab.DatabaseConnector]: Could not load database list
    2021-08-17 09:13:27.453 +01:00 [Error]  [RedGate.SQLSearch.Addin.LoggingErrorHandler]: Failed to get the object hierarchy
  • I'm using SQL Search and SQL Prompt.
    The previous suggestions didn' t work for me. Opening and close the ' Tab History'  before starting SQL Search did the trick for me.
    SSMS 18.9.2/SQL Search 3.5.5.2703
  • I disconnected from automatically connected DBs and reconnected, and SQL Search magically got enabled.
  • This "workaround" does work, however this is August 2022 and the bug was reported Dec 2020 (almost 2 years ago).  Being a software engineer I understand the "priority" queue, but this one seems a little more significant than to be ignored for 2 years?
  • GWLGWL Posts: 1 New member
    This just happened to me as well. The workaround does work, but I agree that it seems odd this hasn't been fixed several years on from the initial bug discovery.